Vista eating up free space

BigTy

Gawd
I have Vista installed on my PC. Jus tloaded the OS over an hour ago, and it seems that for some reason after some kind of action the free space becomes less and less. After cleaning the temp file I would think I would have a bit more free space I didnt I ended up lossing 3gigs FROM DELETING. Anyone else ran into this problem?

Have you emptied your recycle bin?

You might also be downloading updates in the background. The updates take more and more space as they're downloaded, even before your software tells you they're ready to install. And that can apply to whatever applications you've got installed, in addition to the OS itself.

You might want to use a disk mapping program to see what directories and files are taking up how much space.

I notice this as well, and have no explanation for it. It seems like Vista tends to grow a bit quicker than XP does. Could be my imagination though, as I have no real data to prove it one way or the other.

Vista does have a hibernate file which you can disable, but the growing space usage problem is linked directly to the shadow copies and system restores. If you want more details on this - as in how much space is being used (which you can change) - run an elevated command prompt. Typing vssadmin will show you the options available, vssadmin list shadowstorage will show space taken per drive.

On my RAID-0 of two raptors, 68.9GB space total, VSS can use up to a maximum of 10.343GB, to give you an idea.

Great so how do I turn this off ? I ran teh resize command and after I got done I lost another 2 gig?

You can resize it all the way down to 300MB, I don't think it will work if you try to resize it smaller than that...but of course you can check its current size at any time for verification. Turn off automatic restore points (control panel -> system -> advanced system settings -> system protection tab) if you desire. You can also make changes via the registry, I believe, such as file exclusions, but I suggest using the method I mention above.

Back