mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
ok heres the deal. this is my dads laptop, its a compaq c712nr specs:

15.4" widescreen
1gig
vista premium 32bit
dual core pentium, forget what model
80 or so gig hdd

now, i come to my dads every other weekend. 2 weekends ago, i show up and pop a dvd in, the player starts up but the video is stuttering about every 2 seconds for 1 second, so its not watchable. i say WTF. Also, when i go to play the demos in the media center they dont play either, saying "video error: files needed to display video are not installed" or something. i say ok........ look into it. i get some stuff saying the decoder with windows only lasts a certain amount of time. idk. but in the control panel, if i hit show memory and cpu speed, i get "not available" for processor and ram. 2 weekends ago i ended up doing a system restore, the computer is only a couple months old, was bought on black friday. so i restored to the point where everything was cleaned out and all his progs were installed. great, everything works fine. Now, 2 weeks later, i come back and have the same issues! whats the problem?

all that stuff is up to date. in fact, just ran windows update, got all the latest, including drivers. still doing it, still not showing up in the mem and cpu speed window.

Sounds like you need a dvd video decoder. I know windows xp did not ship with one and I had the same issues. Try downloading and installing k-lite mega codex pack. It is free.

I'm assuming "vista premium" means "vista home premium" and as such it comes with Media Center, so it can play DVD content/MPEG2 content without issues - but apparently that's not the problem.

I can't say what the issues are being caused by, so offering advice at this point would be meaningless. Perhaps you might consider a factory restore at some point if the situation continues or if it gets worse, heaven forbid. Just make sure all the necessary data files and personal stuff is safely stored someplace else before undertaking such a job - a factory restore essentially destroys everything on the drive and brings it back to <go figure> factory state like it was just taken out of the box.

also dont use klite use CCCP :)

weird problem btw... sounds like another dvd decoder was installed with a trial activation date running out ? or maybe some anti virus software doing constant active scans on the disc.. ive seen slow performance when someone using norton kept clicking deny on things before ... wasnt pretty 2 fix

im farmiliar with OEM recovery systems, but i dont know if that would help, as stated, it feels like something expires like a decoder trial, because doing a system restore fixes it, only 2 weeks later, back to the way it was.

Back