• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Vista Drive Configuration

ThePerformer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Messages
284
Hey everyone! I'm building a nvidia 680i based system and I'm going straight to Vista RTM.

This is a gaming rig but protecting data is very important. What would you reccomend for my drive configuration? I have 6 SATA300 drive connections to work with.

I want to use 4 of them to create a RAID 5 set with 320GB drives. Should I put the other 2 with smaller system drives in RAID 0? What about a swap disk? Thanks!
 
I'd put whatever drives you want for mass storage in raid 5 (preferrably not on an onboard controller!), a single Raptor as a boot/scratch disk, and a single disk as an external backup.

What's your budget for disk stuff like?

 
I'm not that worried about cost.

Are raptors worth it though? Wouldn't going with a small SATA2 (300mb/sec) drive work better?

Oh, and why not on the internal controller?
 
Raptors are not really worth it. There are things that best them in almost every category (though not necessarily all at once). The reason onboard is not recommended is because ti is software-assisted raid. Although that is probably fine, (some on board controllers cannot do raid 5, do not know about the 680i chipset though), if cost is no object get a full hardware raid card. They do all their own processing, so your cpu does not get bogged down with that
 
"Not worried about cost" doesn't mean much. Are you going to spend $1k on this storage system?

A small drive means a lower data density, and usually an older design. A WD2500KS would be okay as a boot drive, but a Raptor is the top of the line if that's your goal.

The reason I un-recommended onboard controllers is the possibility of poorly implemented drivers and bad recovery from disk losses. And being able to move an array between machines is nice, too. Speed wasn't my concern, although it is a probable result.

 
Back
Top