Vista - Copying, Moving Files = Not Responding

the lone gunman

Limp Gawd
ok i have been using Vista since bata and i now have a fully up-to-date copy of vista on my PC. however i still have the same problem as i did back in the beta days:

sometimes when i want to "move" or "copy" a file (one that takes more than a few seconds) i get a message on the progress bar (not responding) even though i know the action is still taking place, however if you just wait a while the file will be moved or copied successfully.

this problem does not occure if i move or copy a file then just leave the computer to it and perform no other actions e.g: open web page, open aplication ect...

The only time this happens is if i open another window over the top of the progress bar. i know the action of moving of copy is still taking place because i have waited so many times in the past and eventually the file is transported in the allotted time, its just the progress bar reports back as not responding.

i move and copy alot of files and i never had this problem with XP, my PC isnt slow (spects at the end) its just most of the time if i move a file thats, say 10gb, i dont want to just sit there for 3-4 mins whilst it does it, i want to carry on doing whatever im doing.

like i said i know the action is taking place but why does the progress bar "hang" when i carry on with my work after moving and copying?

PC:

Q6600
8600gt
4GB ram
1TB hdd
P5Q
Vista

any one else had this problem?

I have noticed this aswell, although maybe not to this extent. I have long since written it off as one a the very few glitches in Vista that will never be fixed.

I have noticed this aswell, although maybe not to this extent. I have long since written it off as one a the very few glitches in Vista that will never be fixed.

Well this was my thought too but when SP1 was release i figured this would be the end of the problem, but no it wasnt. i did have a few other problems before SP1 and all the hot fixes that you get with the updates but they seam to have been ironed out now, but my problem with moving files is still here.

surely we are not the only two with this problem and surely MS know of this problem, so why is it not fixed?

I've noticed this once or twice, usually I don't click back on the progress window if I'm doing something else though.

What I find more annoying with explorer, is if you hold Shift or Ctrl in order to select multiple files and the list updates before you left click (downloading, extracting, or moving a lot of files, etc), you will select files that are now at the location instead of the file you originally clicked on. This has caused me to unintentionally delete data twice before I realised what happened.

Another thing I don't like is if UAC requests admin rights to install a program or run an application, when ever you click "save as" it brings you to the admin's documents. This is where I think UAC and "run as administrator" should be different. Although this would really only be an issue on a family pc or small business machine where everything uses the default permissions.

That puts that "Vista Evaluation Copy" watermark on the bottom right corner of the screen. I couldn't deal with that. To each his own though.

That, and your machine will never be the same after installing a Beta service pack. Sometimes the only way to fully rid yourself of a beta service back is to reinstall Windows.

I'd only suggest Betas to folks wanting to test it out: not for machines you actually do work on.

That, and your machine will never be the same after installing a Beta service pack. Sometimes the only way to fully rid yourself of a beta service back is to reinstall Windows.

I'd only suggest Betas to folks wanting to test it out: not for machines you actually do work on.

I know that because I had it on my laptop. I uninstalled it perfectly fine, and haven't noticed any ill effects. Thanks for scaring me though. :eek:

That puts that "Vista Evaluation Copy" watermark on the bottom right corner of the screen. I couldn't deal with that. To each his own though.

People have the most oddball reasons sometimes, don't they? :D

I had this issue but it got fixed with SP1 and updating a couple of drivers. I guess I was one of the lucky few.

SP1 fixed that issue on all three of my vista boxes so I dunno what to tell ya.

SP1 fixed that issue on all three of my vista boxes so I dunno what to tell ya.

Well like i said before i move alot of big files frequent basis (not the sort of thing most people do) so perhaps i may notice it more than others.
moving small files e.g: 700mb or less doesnt seam to be a problem. i moved a 7.5gb file the other day and it did not like that at all! i wont even tell you what happent when i backed up my documents (125gb) to my external HDD, it wasnt pretty!:eek:

Well like i said before i move alot of big files frequent basis (not the sort of thing most people do) so perhaps i may notice it more than others.
moving small files e.g: 700mb or less doesnt seam to be a problem. i moved a 7.5gb file the other day and it did not like that at all! i wont even tell you what happent when i backed up my documents (125gb) to my external HDD, it wasnt pretty!:eek:

I understand, thats why im a bit baffled because I too mostly do large files 20GB+...HD video mostly. Is this all transfers or does this only happen when transfering to a specific drive, or from a specific drive?

I occasionally have issue with copys from one partition to another on the same volume.

BTW what happened when you transfered to the external?

Also what kind of speeds are you getting?

Regardless people's experiences I'd still agree file copying is the #1 problem with Vista. I just don't like how it's handled.

BTW what happened when you transfered to the external?

Also what kind of speeds are you getting?

Half way through the copy i got the "not responding" message then my computer hung and then i got an error box and the whole process failed. so i had to go through alot of data to see what had copied and what had not.

i transfer my documents to a 1TB usb external about once every 2 months or so (i dont use incramental backups) so i just get whatever usb speeds are 450mbps? something like that...

For large file operations between drives, I use a file manager program called Directory Opus. It's extremely powerful and intricate. There are a massive number of settings that can be configured. I first tried it for the simple fact that I wanted copied files to retain all their original timestamps.

See here: http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

Edit:

The detailed progress bar shows the number and size of files copied and remaining, and it can be configured to show the transfer speed (current/peak/average). File operations can be paused, or performed alongside other file operations simultaneously.

Back