vista, compatability issues?

What 'compatibility issues' are you referring to?

well, I use the following:

games, all kinds
firefox
nero
norton
aim
wireless adapter
raid controller

stuff like that, heard of a lot of issues with software.

well, I use the following:

games, all kinds
Had none here.
firefox
Lol, is that a joke?
nero
I think there was a version that had problems, but Nero has released updates.
norton
Norton has always had issues...
aim
No comment....
wireless adapter
Don't know
raid controller
Don't know.

stuff like that, heard of a lot of issues with software.

Answers added in red.

But really, a lot of the "issues" people hear are just people blabbing that a) haven't done their research, or b) are basing their "results" on a very few amount of programs.

I've been running Vista x64 since release and I've had virtually no errors. Many other people can testify the same...

Comments endorsed.

Vista 64-bit is pretty much as 'ready to go' as Vista 32-bit, by the way. It 'enforces' driver signing, so don't try to run stuff that uses unsigned 'virtual drivers'. that's about the only 'compatibility' difference, unless you have older hardware for which no 64-bit device driver is available. Almost all hardware in current and common use has both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista drivers available.

See the first machine in my signature; Vista (32-bit) has been fantastic.

As with any OS, however, research the driver situation for your specific hardware and check that your specific software is compatible. Manufacturer and developer websites re great place to start ;)

Comments endorsed.

Vista 64-bit is pretty much as 'ready to go' as Vista 32-bit, by the way. It 'enforces' driver signing, so don't try to run stuff that uses unsigned 'virtual drivers'. that's about the only 'compatibility' difference, unless you have older hardware for which no 64-bit device driver is available. Almost all hardware in current and common use has both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista drivers available.

my raid drivers are unsigned...

games, all kinds
Will every game ever made ever since the dawn of time work? Probably not. Will the vast majority of games that run under various versions of Windows already, work on Vista? Likely. I have not had a game refuse to run yet. The only game I have that might have trouble is Final Fantasy XI, which is an oddly coded game which has problems for some people but not others.
There's no possible way Firefox works under Vista. The word "gullible" also isn't in the dictionary. Not only does it work, they have an optional and sexy 64-bit Firefox build.

The other stuff.. Nero has no reason *not* to work, but the bigger and bloatier the app, the more careful you need to be. I have thrown your garden variety 5MB freeware CD/DVD burning software at Vista x64 and it's worked perfectly. Anti-virus will be one weaker spot, you will need to look for 64-bit anti-virus software, which means a trip to Google.

If you use unsigned drivers, you are not going to like Vista x64. There are tricks to disabling the driver signature checks, but they are tricks, and not necessarily perfect. Vista x64 is a little less of a tinkerer's OS.

Hewlett Packard screen adjustment utility (64-bit version) crashes on startup using Vista 64-bit. Then again many games I tried worked, although with problems.

It's a mixed bag and the only thing that is 100% sure is that it will _not_ work as reliably as XP 32-bit.

Back