Vista Business shared printer

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by ghostchamber, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ghostchamber

ghostchamber [H]ard|Gawd

One of my company's customers has a Windows Vista Buinsess machine with a locally attached HP printer. This computer is part of a Server 2003 domain, and printer sharing is enabled. The computer is listed in Directory, however, whenever I try to connect to it from a workstation (or even the server), I get an error message stating that the computer cannot connect to the printer.

I have a similar problem on my home network: I've got a locally attached printer on my Home Premium box that my wife cannot print to from her XP box. She can print to it from her Vista laptop, however.

I've done a bit of searching and I haven't come up with a solution. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT:

Firewall is disabled on the Vista Business workstation. Forgot to mention that.

Here's what I have tried: From the server, clicked "Add a printer," then select "Locally attached printer." From there, choose "Create a port," and when prompted for the name, I put in the UNC: \\computername\printername. I also tried selecting network printer and browsing to the computer, and also using the UNC.

2. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

If you don't have the proper drivers installed, for the correct OS, you won't be able to install the printer as a shared printer. That would explain why your wife's Vista computer can print to it, and not her XP machine.

3. ghostchamber

ghostchamber [H]ard|Gawd

On my home network, I did install the XP print driver for my Vista printer on my wife's XP machine. It still did not work.

EDIT:

I also just tried this from the server. I downloaded the Server 2003 driver for said printer, then installed it manually by browsing to the .inf file. Then I tried to add it over the network and I got the same error.

4. ghostchamber

ghostchamber [H]ard|Gawd

I hate to bump, but surely someone must have other ideas?

5. griffinhart

griffinhart [H]ard|Gawd

The default driver windows will try to use is what's loaded on the Vista Box. If your PC isn't a Vista machine it will have issues. The work around is to map an LPT port to the printer and then point a local print driver to the LPT port.

First run:
    Net Use lpt2: \\hostPC\Printershare /persistant:yes

Now start the add a printer wizard, select local printer (turn off autodetect), point to LPT2: then select the proper driver.

That should get you working.