VISTA Business And NetGear Wireless Router

Wags317

Limp Gawd
I just upgraded two of my computers to Vista Business, and I am having an annoying issue with connecting to my router on occasion. I have a NetGear WGR614V7(latest Firmware patch) router that has worked great for about a year and half no issues. However, on my two computer that I have upgraded to Vista Business (one is a Dell Laptop with a dell wireless card and the other is a desktop with an Ethernet card) it seem that they have a hard time every once and a while to connect to the router. The events that occur in Vista are; you turn the computer on, Vista's network icon will appear and read identifying; now at this point either it will just hang here or it will proceed to connect to the router but never getting an IP address. The workaround isn't cut and dry either. Sometime it's as simple as have Vista rest the network devices or I have completely shut down the router cable modem and then try resting the network devices (a few times I have spend up to 45 minutes before I would get either of these computer to connect) . Also I want to be clear that this happens not just with wireless but also with direct cable connection. Before I upgraded to Vista I never had any issues like this, my other computer that is still running XP doesn’t seem to have an issue. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this? I will say that I have disabled (on both vista machines) Windows firewall, IPSec, and Windows ICS.

Running Vista Business and NetGear WGT624 with no problems here. I dunno what the problem could be. Why did you disable services? That always causes problems... and please tell me you didn't use vLite.

You might need a proper ethernet driver for your Vista if you haven't done so. Upgrading could be your problem. Clean installation might fix that.

You might need a proper ethernet driver for your Vista if you haven't done so. Upgrading could be your problem. Clean installation might fix that.

I am using proper drivers, as vista doesn't have built in drivers anyways for my network cards

Running Vista Business and NetGear WGT624 with no problems here. I dunno what the problem could be. Why did you disable services? That always causes problems... and please tell me you didn't use vLite.

not using vLite and I disabled those services because I don't need the windows firewall and I have no use for windows ics, so why have them running and take up memory.

Resting? Did you mean resetting? Have you try resetting the router and clear any setting you have earlier on and go into your router to see what options are there that need to be adjusted?

Also try going into Control Panel>Network and sharing>manage network connections>right click on your wireless and your Local Are Connection>Configure>and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Have you try going into safe mode with Network connection to see how that work?

Back