Vista BSOD = Memory loss?

franzie

n00b
Well Windows Vista is fun with all of it's BSOD's, but they aren't that annoying. One thing, however, is that it if I add up the memory taken up from every folder, I get around 47.5 GB taken up, but Vista says my HD is 213 GB out of 298 GB taken up according to the computer folder's icon of the hard drive, so that's 85 GB. I have 2GB of RAM and every time I reboot from a BSOD, I have 2 GB more missing from my hard drive. I'm pretty sure it isn't a coincidence. Does anyone know how to get that space back? I also did a system restore earlier, could that be the culprit?

Every BSOD performs a memory dump, which is probably a hidden system file. You should be able to cleanup all of the dump files to get the space back. (If you want, you can also have it only do a partial dump instead of a full dump.) Also, if system restore is turned on, that'll also take up space that you wouldn't see by looking at the folders.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time, but disabling system restore did it. Thank you for you time and help. Sorry for the inconvenience due to my asking before looking approach.

Back