Vista Bluescreens, please help

AeriaGloris

Limp Gawd
I installed Vista x64 Business earlier today and I have already had 4 BSODs.

My specs are:

e6400
DS3 965-P Rev 1
2*2gb OCZ 800MHz
8800GTS 512MB
500GB sata HD
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Nothing is overclocked.

So far these BSODs have only occured whilst playing eve online (the only intensive program I have on the system atm) but I will try doing some other stuff.

Can anybody help me out? :(

This BSOD will happen on a check build of the operating system.

Are you running a checked version of the OS for any particular reason?

How can I tell?

Edit: I looked in "About Notepad" and it says I am running Windows version 6 build 6000.

Vista is not to blame here.

BSOD is normally caused by a hardware related issue. Check your bios to make sure your cpu is not overclocked and that your memory timings are correct. Also use motherboard monitor to monitor your temps, and mem test to test your ram. You might need to play around with the voltages and memory timings until you get things stable.

Hmm, well I just ran orthos using the blend test and I got a rounding error after 44 seconds!
My ram is runnning at the rated speed of 800mhz, 5-5-5-18 and the bios is set to +0.3v which should give the rated 2.1v (1.8+0.3). The cpu is loading at about 45C so I don't think thats a problem. This ram is brand new, could it be bad?

Honest to God guys.... this is a bug check that is ONLY invoked by a check kernel.

<abstracted_from_link>
Cause
The most common cause of this bug check is when a file system has a mismatched sequence of KeEnterCriticalRegion calls and KeLeaveCriticalRegion calls.

Comments
This is a kernel internal error which can occur only on a checked build. This error occurs on exit from a system call.
</abstracted_from_link>

-OR-
If not, you've got a driver installed on there that is doing one of the stupidest things around.

AeriaGloris said:
How can I tell?

Edit: I looked in "About Notepad" and it says I am running Windows version 6 build 6000.

Start >> Run winver

If it says Windows Version 6.0 (build .....) (Debug) You're on a check build.

Also, if you have a minidump, post it and I can have a look.

I ran a bit of memtest with both sticks, this is what it got in 1hr 37mins:

I'll try testing each stick seperately.

Also I decided to make sure about this check build thing.

Pretty sure I have a normal version of vista. Where can I find this minidump?

So, you've got two errors, and any errors are bad errors.

Now, why don't you try testing one stick at a time like I suggested before, and you'll get results that you can work with.

Oh.. shit...sorry, missed that bit between your screens:)

You'd be amazed how many people seem to ignore the importance of testing each stick individually and then wonder why they get mixed results from Memtest...

Again, sorry man... no offense intended!

None taken.

Well, I tested the first stick, lets call it stick A, overnight. Here are the results:

I'll start testing stick B soon.

Stick B errors out big time:

I have now also tested this stick in another pc and it gets errors there too.

Switched back to my old 2*1GB and ran a bit of memtest, no errors.
I'm pretty convinced it's the ram, but could it be the motherboard?

did you get the 4gb hotfix?

woah, nm, should read the rest of the thread first. Could be mobo, most likely just bad ram. What ram are you using?

If the sticks are testing bad on a different board, the odds are pretty good that it's just bad ram....

If the sticks are testing bad on a different board, the odds are pretty good that it's just bad ram....

Indeed.

To the OP- before RMAing anything, try boosting the voltage for the RAM to 2.0 or 2.1v if you haven't already; a lot of modern ram requires that to run at stock settings.

Back