Vista-Better gaming performance?

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

How is the gaming performance in Vista RC2? Better or worse than XP?

It depends on who you ask, what type of system your on and a few other factors. For me its better but for others it could be worse.

Maybe when we get real drivers from Nvidia and ATi the performance will be better (theoretically should be). But at the moment, the drivers are hindering performance greatly.

I found its generally slower and when it comes to opengl its just hopeless. Not sure about games but Apps any way.

Just to add my 2 cents...

I've been playing Battlefield 2 + Special Forces the past week or so with RC2 and from what I can tell, performance from Media Center Edition 2005 (which is my main use OS) and Vista RC2 is roughly simular. Obviously using the built in Vista RC2 drivers for both my HIS X1600XT and the onboard MSI Geforce 6100 graphics, I'm experiencing roughly a bit less in the FPS department. The difference has been only around 5 FPS in general while using a resolution of 1280x1024 which is my 19" LCD's native res.

I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary or have had any difficulties playing games, so far, with RC2 (crosses fingers) so it looks like I'll probably be upgrading to Vista once it is released. Hopefully by then, both nvidia and ati will have finished Vista drivers ready for the masses.

Most of my games run fine, BUT Source games like HL2 and Counter-Strike are virtually unplayable using Nvidia drivers...and I've tried 2-3 versions. There might be a trick I'm unaware of that makes them work, but by default there's texture mayhem all over the screen.

Back