Vista beta 2, is it good enough

Mysticcal

Gawd
Currently using Windows XP Pro, is Windows Vista Beta 2 worth upgrading and non-dual booting? I mean, is it stable enough and powerful enough to need to be switched to?

No. You do not want to use a beta OS as your primary OS. It does run decent, but there are still bugs on it. Stick with XP Pro for now.

It will depend on your system. I have seen it installed on a system here, and it ran well and was pretty. However, it's only a beta, and all current applications that are around were made for XP and not Vista, so switching to it is still very premature.

If it were me, I'd wait until either there was a piece of software that I had to have that ran only on on Vista, or preferably until Vista Service Pack 1 eventually appears.

Key word in this:

BETA.

In other words, it's not meant to be a production/daily usage operating system, hence the nametag on it stating it's beta.

It's fun to play with beta OSes to learn something about them, the changes the company writing them is making, and where the future of computing lies - at least in terms of where that particular company thinks it lies. But in truth, a beta OS is frought with issues.

The one thing most people don't get sometimes is that any OS working is a miracle in and of itself. Consider something like the Playstation 2 or the PSP or even the Xbox or any console machines:

The hardware is specific and unchanging save for a hard drive or memory expansion. That's one reason people don't have the issues with consoles that you do with actual computers.

The fact that Windows, Linux, and <insert other OS name here> work at all is truly a miracle, and not a small one at that. For a company to produce a single codebase that operates across the millions of different hardware configurations that exist in the personal computer marketplace is testament to that very same miracle.

Save yourself the headache: put Vista on a second(ary) hard drive if you have one, or an entirely different PC if possible just for testing it out and having fun with it. But don't try using it for your every day OS; it's simply not at that stage just yet, and I'm sure the people around here would get sick of troubleshooting it whenever you (or anyone else) has issues with it because it's a beta OS still in heavy development.

Just my $.02...
bb

Back