Vista Beta 2 - Driver For VideoCard SpcePblm+ Another Problem

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
doesthismean.png

atipackageoutofspace.png

Is it because I have small space on the OS partition, and ATI complains that I don't have enough space even though if I asked it to install on the second partition? Suggestions?

Also before I installed this, I had Windows XP X86 and X64, and the little problem is... I have a weird mouse/keyboard lag/freezings. It only happens in 3D applications. For example, I'm playing CS:S, and I'm shooting at someone, then all of sudden my mouse and keyboard are unresponsive for 3-5 seconds then it goes back to normal. But this is consistent. It comes back every 2-5 minutes. No problems on my old PC. I even switched a different mouse and keyboard to see if it solves my dilemma, but nope. Anyone have any idea?

Mouses:
Logitech MX518
MS IntelliMouse 1.1A

Keyboards:
eMachines PS/2 Multimedia KB
Lite-On USB KB

Specs in sig.

If you installed on another HDD wouldn't Vista not be able to access it because it's on a drive with a different OS?

Lol I hate Vista beta already, I'm going to wait longer. Putting Windows XP back on it.

Mr. Stryker said:
Lol I hate Vista beta already, I'm going to wait longer. Putting Windows XP back on it.

No, you hate Vista *Beta*, what do you expect out of a Beta operating system.

Mr. Stryker said:
Um, have a larger than 10GB partition next time. Drivers especially need to put most of the files on C:.

And yea, not sure why anyone would use Vista as their main OS considering it is a beta and a new build is coming out at least every month.

i believe the minimum HDD requirement for vista is 15GB of HDD space... make at least a 30GB partition and then all will be good.

obs said:
Um, have a larger than 10GB partition next time. Drivers especially need to put most of the files on C:.

And yea, not sure why anyone would use Vista as their main OS considering it is a beta and a new build is coming out at least every month.

Actually, I do plan to use it as a co-primary system for business apps like Work and Excel (I'm running Office 2007 Beta 2 on Vista Beta 2).

So far, this setup has been very stable. Not one crash in the last six days, and I've put SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 on the machine, as well as F.E.A.R., even played it for a while, far from a smooth experience, but it actually ran and didn't crash. DX9 doesn't seem to be in this Vista build, as I had to install DX9 separtely, I was trying out the new HITMAN and it complained about several missing DLL's. Copied them from an XP box and actually got it to run, once again, far from smooth, beta drivers, but runs without crashing.

Looks like Microsoft is putting the consumer oriented stuff on the back burner and getting the OS overall solid, as its suppoed to be released for business first anyway.

All in all, this is the most stable beta 2 OS and office suite that Microsoft has ever released. After six days of moderate to heavy use (I've been writing a help guide with Word 2007 and I just haven't had any problems yet, I can even print to my network printer) its working reliably for business purposes. The gaming side looks to have a lot of work. The multimedia stuff actually works ok, I can play DVD's and recorded TV shows from my Windows Media Center okay, a little htiching when starting a DVD and skipping around, but it is good enough to actually watch a DVD enjoyably.

So that's my overall six days of Vista. While by no means revolutionary, its got neat new features like search, looks much nice with Aero, and should be far more secure than XP not only because of better technology and code, but simply because you don't have to run as administrator all the time, that's probably the biggest security enhancement of all.

heatlesssun said:
Actually, I do plan to use it as a co-primary system for business apps like Work and Excel (I'm running Office 2007 Beta 2 on Vista Beta 2).

So far, this setup has been very stable. Not one crash in the last six days, and I've put SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 on the machine, as well as F.E.A.R., even played it for a while, far from a smooth experience, but it actually ran and didn't crash. DX9 doesn't seem to be in this Vista build, as I had to install DX9 separtely, I was trying out the new HITMAN and it complained about several missing DLL's. Copied them from an XP box and actually got it to run, once again, far from smooth, beta drivers, but runs without crashing.

Looks like Microsoft is putting the consumer oriented stuff on the back burner and getting the OS overall solid, as its suppoed to be released for business first anyway.

All in all, this is the most stable beta 2 OS and office suite that Microsoft has ever released. After six days of moderate to heavy use (I've been writing a help guide with Word 2007 and I just haven't had any problems yet, I can even print to my network printer) its working reliably for business purposes. The gaming side looks to have a lot of work. The multimedia stuff actually works ok, I can play DVD's and recorded TV shows from my Windows Media Center okay, a little htiching when starting a DVD and skipping around, but it is good enough to actually watch a DVD enjoyably.

So that's my overall six days of Vista. While by no means revolutionary, its got neat new features like search, looks much nice with Aero, and should be far more secure than XP not only because of better technology and code, but simply because you don't have to run as administrator all the time, that's probably the biggest security enhancement of all.

http://www.hitmanforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30845

Scroll down and just DL the dll file to put it in the Hitman's main directory. The game'll run.

As for the mouse/keyboard freezing problem, I've tested games.

UT2K4 - Pass
AAO - Pass
CoD2 - Pass
Brothers In Arms - Pass
FEAR - Pass
Trackmania Nations - Pass
FarCry - Pass
Hitman: Blood Money - Pass
Battlefield 2 - Pass
=======================
Source engine - Fail

What should I do, before I decide to send back the motherboard and get a different one?

The problem is once I play CS:S, as soon as I start running and waving my gun everywhere, it'd suddenly become unresponsive OR just have a very delayed movement... it's really hard to explain.

Having so little space available on the boot partition is never usually a good thing, and can cause serious stability issues or even crashes if the OS runs out of room for the swap file.

When you lag out in games, check your hard drive light quick to see if its lit up and going solid. If so, the system is either paging out to the hard drive or reading back from it, and that can cause lag in games.

I'm running 2 GB of physical ram in my system, and Vista still has a 1.8 GB swap file and a 1.5 GB hibernation file on my boot drive. So even with 2 gig of ram, it pages a LOT of data out to the drive, and any high end game with lots of texture details and such will only make the situation worse, especially if you run out of space on your hard drive for the swap file when it wants to write out more data.

You may want to check all your temp folders and see if there's anything big leftover in there you can delete to get some room back. Even then, games in Vista atm aren't going to run anywhere near as well as they do under XP.

Just a thought.

Like the previous poster said, delete your temp files if you can. Then,

Uninstall unneeded features (if thats possible), change your %temp% and %tmp% USER environment variables to a folder on D:\ and change the system %temp% environment varialbe to another folder on D:\ (if it sets a system level %temp% environment variable). That might help.

When I had the problems, it was when I was running Windows XP and there was 6GB free on the OS partition. I wasn't using Vista to game though.So that's my point =\

Perhaps the hard drive is so badly fragmented its causing massive slowdowns when trying to read or write to the drive??

The defragger built into windows isnt the best for getting detailed information about how badly a drive is fragmented. I normally use O&O Defrag to check for total fragmentation and get better data.

Trying to think of something to help more, but coming up blank at the moment.

I also had vista on a 10 gig partition which was more than enough for Xp. 20 gigs sounds about right in the future.

Back