Vista Beta 2 : Anybody else playing with it?

Cyclone187

Supreme [H]ardness
So I finally got my network card problems sorted out (By putting in a different card) and am playing with Beta 2. It's nice and all but for some reason DCE disabled itself and I can't get it to turn back on. Anybody know how? And whats with the sidebar, isnt that in this release?

These beta releases dont have all that DRM and copyright protection in place yet do they?

Nothing that I've seen. Installation was smooth, just took forever. I mean it's a beta, MS really wants as many people playing with it as they can

Umm, Beta 2 hasn't been released yet. The newer builds like 5231/5270 are marked as B2 but it won't be out until later this quarter. And Beta 2 should be feature complete.

He's referring to December's CTP build. It's not Beta 2 -- that will come in March. Cyclone, what is DCE?

I'm also playing it, but I am not really impressed. I doubt I will make the switch immediately. When I do decide to buy a new computer though, I will buy Vista instead of XP(supposing its after Vista's release)

Does anyone know how Microsoft's going to be doing the different versions of Vista? I heard they've got into double-figures over it but wouldn't it be better to have one disc and just 'auto-detect' the hardware (for a 64-bit version for example) or give a list of which appeals most to you?

tornadotsunamilife said:
Does anyone know how Microsoft's going to be doing the different versions of Vista? I heard they've got into double-figures over it but wouldn't it be better to have one disc and just 'auto-detect' the hardware (for a 64-bit version for example) or give a list of which appeals most to you?

Read this:

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakin...MKQREOQSNDBECKHSCJUMEKJVN?articleId=175802311

PS. They can't ship x86/x64 bits on the same disc -- space limitations.

Cyclone187 said:
Nothing that I've seen. Installation was smooth, just took forever.
Yeah, setup took at least an hour on my laptop.
---

The IE7 build in 5270 (pre-beta 2/Dec 2005 CTP) is pretty buggy. WindowsUpdate also had trouble applying a SigmaTel update, limiting my network connection for no good reason. The good news is that all hardware installed perfectly and other programs I installed seem work fine.

Sadly I hhave no access to Vista....I wish I was a subscriber so I could get my hands on early releases. :(

5270 seems a fair bit more stable for me than previous builds but refuses to play nice with my nf4 ethernet. no net no play = nuke

Back