Vista Basic --> Vista Ultimate

Team Obi Juan

Your Local Postmaster
Just got brand new Dell lappy w/ Vista Basic

Can get Vista Ultimate through Uni for $28 ish.

How does the upgrade happen? Format and install? Or Autoplay, "upgrade"?

Should I stop "tweaking" this lappy now or will I not have to wipe everything.

PS: This would be the full version of vista ultimate, not the upgrade.

I would just go ahead and reformat and install. Back up your important files

Just do the double install method, wiping your drive on the first install then install from within windows for activation. I am assuming this is an upgrade version, if not just wipe and install.

I believe you can use the upgrade version to do a fresh install if you have a valid CD key for a full version. I'm pretty sure you could do that with older versions; I dunno about Vista.

Vista will only do an upgrade from an installed OS, it will not ask for a valid Windows CD like previous versions. However, you can install it with no CD key, then upgrade that trial installation to get a full install.

I'd probably just upgrade the system myself, since it's only Vista to Vista and there's no migration that needs to go on (provided they're both 32-bit Vista, 64-bit won't upgrade). Doing the double-install method will just mean that you're taking a step back and a step forward before you do the upgrade. However, it might be useful to clear off installed stuff from Dell you didn't want.

I believe you can use the upgrade version to do a fresh install if you have a valid CD key for a full version. I'm pretty sure you could do that with older versions; I dunno about Vista.

Yup, I have a vista business cd that came from an American Uni and it says for upgrade purposes only on it, but it allows to install from a freshly formatted HD aslong as you have the key.

Other versions maybe different, but the version I have allows it.

Hmm. It's the full version of Vista Ultimate, not upgrade.

I wonder if I'll have some driver issues with my dell lappy? I mean if it already has vista basic on it.... Ultimate should do fine right?

Provided it's 32-bit Ultimate then there shouldn't be any problem - all versions of Vista use the same drivers (except for the obvious 32-/64-bit divide).

Provided it's 32-bit Ultimate then there shouldn't be any problem - all versions of Vista use the same drivers (except for the obvious 32-/64-bit divide).

If I am on 32 bit Basic, what if the Ultimate I get is 64 bit? No go? I find out tomorrow exactly which version it is. Don't buy it if it's 64 bit? If it is 32 bit, I should format and start from scratch?

If you are going from an x86 version to an x64 version, you'll have to do a full fresh install.

If you are going from an x86 version to an x64 version, you'll have to do a full fresh install.

This is a brand new Dell Vostro 1500. Do you know of a way to be 100% sure it's compatible with x64?

I appreciate the help.

Yeah, look up the processor on Intel's site, or post what processor it has here.

It's got the C2D T5270 (1.4GHz). Very quick. My desktop has a 3000+ Venice and this would smoke it for sure.

Well that looks promising. Here's to hoping I don't run into other driver problems with it.

With exception to the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, Vista is Vista is Vista. It's just the feature sets that differ. In fact, MS has a program that automatically upgrades your version if you purchase it (Anytime Upgrade). And all it does is install the missing features to bring you up to the upgrade level you purchased.

Now if you're going from 32bit to 64 bit, make sure you can find drivers for all your hardware BEFORE you "upgrade." Becuase you will have to format and install (well you don't have to format, but it's best if you do) and it'd suck if you find out your NIC or printer isn't supported.

My understanding is as long as you are staying either from x32 basic to x32 ultimate or x64 basic (why on earth?) to x64 ultimate, the anytime upgrade is the easiest method. I believe all the files are already installed just you need to unlock them and that's it. No install or anything else, you have those files just not accessible.

i wonder if he could somehow use his uni license but request the dell vista cd from them.. the dell cds work much better on a dell, no activation crap to deal with.. i have the x32 dell cd.. but not x64

i wonder if he could somehow use his uni license but request the dell vista cd from them.. the dell cds work much better on a dell, no activation crap to deal with.. i have the x32 dell cd.. but not x64

There's no activation because it uses a generic key and BIOS string locking. Unlike plain Vista CD's, Dell's CD are locked to the OS version its that came with the system and will only install that version. When he give his machine ID (can't think of the term they use), they will automatically know which version his system came with and will either send that disk out or suggest he purchase an Anytime Upgrade plan. Even if he could obtain an x64 disk and was able to use his own key for installation, he'd still have to activate.

As far as a Dell CD working best on a Delll system, that's hogwash.

Ok picked it up today. It's Vista Ultimate 32 bit Upgrade, not full version. $21 on DVD.

Will be upgrading tonight, though it does not appear that I can format if I wanted to.

Ok picked it up today. It's Vista Ultimate 32 bit Upgrade, not full version. $21 on DVD.

Will be upgrading tonight, though it does not appear that I can format if I wanted to.

You can, but I'm not sure if it's allowed to discuss here.

There's no activation because it uses a generic key and BIOS string locking. Unlike plain Vista CD's, Dell's CD are locked to the OS version its that came with the system and will only install that version. When he give his machine ID (can't think of the term they use), they will automatically know which version his system came with and will either send that disk out or suggest he purchase an Anytime Upgrade plan. Even if he could obtain an x64 disk and was able to use his own key for installation, he'd still have to activate.

As far as a Dell CD working best on a Delll system, that's hogwash.

You can install a different version than what came with the computer as long as you have the cd, how else could people upgrade/change versions. Whether or not you do it legitimately is a different discussion, and i was only saying it is "better" because it uses the generic key and that's one less thing to deal with when installing, otherwise its the same thing..

You can, but I'm not sure if it's allowed to discuss here.

I put it in and it actually TELLS you that you can also boot from CD if you wish to install it fresh and/or change partitions.

BSOD loop is my result.

troubleshooting now :mad:

I put it in and it actually TELLS you that you can also boot from CD if you wish to install it fresh and/or change partitions.

BSOD loop is my result.

troubleshooting now :mad:

I never tried to install from within Windows, but I know that if you use an upgrade key in the boot-up installation it'll tell you that it can't peform an installation and you must install from within Windows.

I never tried to install from within Windows, but I know that if you use an upgrade key in the boot-up installation it'll tell you that it can't peform an installation and you must install from within Windows.

Cross that off the "things you know" column. ;)

I have Vista Basic on the dell. Put in Ultimate Upgrade, gives me the option to Upgrade within Windows, or if I wanted to mess with the partitions and install it fresh then I need to boot from CD.

Boot from CD, input upgrade key, it finishes everything, then BSOD loop.

I google, it's the fact that I didn't install SATA drivers and the AHCI is going apeshit for some reason.

Load drivers onto flash drive, redo it all over again, and we'll know if it worked or not within the next 45 seconds or so...

Cross that off the "things you know" column. ;)

I have Vista Basic on the dell. Put in Ultimate Upgrade, gives me the option to Upgrade within Windows, or if I wanted to mess with the partitions and install it fresh then I need to boot from CD.

Boot from CD, input upgrade key, it finishes everything, then BSOD loop.

I google, it's the fact that I didn't install SATA drivers and the AHCI is going apeshit for some reason.

Load drivers onto flash drive, redo it all over again, and we'll know if it worked or not within the next 45 seconds or so...

Then you don't have an upgrade key. This is what happens when you put an upgrade key in from the boot up onstaller.

Note the warning at the bottom of the window and the lack of a clickable next button.

"For Upgrade Use Only", says right on the disk. Definitely not your conventional DVD though, says for use only by students and faculty only right on it.

Back