vista and windows defender

GameDad

[H]ard|Gawd
i have a couple of programs that defender will not allow to run at startup, it says that they are not classified, and the buttons that should allow them to be enabled are grayed out. is there some way to change their classification or for enabled on an individual basis. i don't think that the aegia physix and my gaming controller need to be run separately everytime i reboot, they are on the startup list, i should be able to run them at startup.

Had the same problem with a couple of apps I needed to run at startup but was blocked by Defender. I hardly boot up into Vista nowadays so I didn't look into it any further, but if you figure it out then please post. Bump for more help.

well, you can try installing the program as a "real" system administrator. Run "mmc" and add a snap in of Local Computer Policy.
go to Computer configuration -Windows settings- secuirty settings - local policies - security options - enable administrator account status. and log on as the system administor and you should have all the options to do what you want. Just a guess though, i don't know why you have your options grayed out in the first place, my ones are all selectable.

i am working on it, it is only grayed out for these 2 items and that is what is apissing me off the most, it shows up, but i cannot select it.

Everest Ultimate Edition is one program I use that is in this boat. According to the Everest people, the program authors are responsible for getting MS to see the light and update the Defender Definition files.

Contact the program's support people and ask them what the status is for the program in question.

Other than that, I do not know what mod you can do to bypass the Denfender checks

There is a way around this. What you need to do is use scheduled tasks to run the program at every startup.

Start --> compmgmt.msc in the search box --> enter --> scheduled tasks in left pane

Hope this helps.

:cool: This actually worked for me. Set it to "Run with highest priviledges" and life is good again.

Back