Vista and QX6850 compatible?

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
Does anyone know if Vista and the Intel Quad Core QX6850 Extreme is compatible? I can't even get it to load Vista.

Basically I have a retail DVD of Vista Ultimate and I put in the 64 bit disc. It says "Windows is loading the files", then gets to 100% and then restarts. I've tried it with the 32 bit disc and tried multiple times, unplugging everything except for HDD, optical drive, video card. I also disabled basically everything in the BIOS for like LAN and Audio. Still loops.

So I pop in another processor that I had here (a C2D E6550) and it boots up no problem at all. So I install Vista, get into Vista, and turn her off. I then swap the processor again to the QX6850, and Vista WILL NOT load. After the first failed attempt it brings you to the screen that you can pick safe mode, so I did, and it loops.

Suggestions? This is Vista Ultimate DVD (retail) that is the original version (purchased probably 6 months ago). Is there some type of Microsoft patch or anything I should know about? The motherboard uses the 680i North Bridge. It has 2GB of memory on a single stick.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like one of two things. Either you need a BIOS update, or you got a bum processor.

BIOS is the latest version.

The processor, I assume is perfectly fine since I can get into the BIOS and run memtest, etc, just can't get Vista to install or even run.

Not a great assumption to make. The fact that your Vista install is booting with an other processor is a pretty good indication that it's the processor that has the problem and not some sort of incompatibility. Vista definately works with the QX6850. I'm currently using one under Vista. That said, it could still be the Motherboard not playing nice with the extra cores.

Not a great assumption to make. The fact that your Vista install is booting with an other processor is a pretty good indication that it's the processor that has the problem and not some sort of incompatibility. Vista definately works with the QX6850. I'm currently using one under Vista. That said, it could still be the Motherboard not playing nice with the extra cores.
Hrrmmmm, what motherboard are you using?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the BIOS touch the CPU? Can't it run even if there's no proc? I'm not sure about this, and I may be way off, but I'm curious now!

Back