Vista and Outlook = High resource usage?

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
I have my Outlook 2007 configured to use Exchange over HTTP. This is at my home machine.

I've been noticing lately ( leave it open all the time) that my notebook has been very hot lately... That, and hard drive is constantly doing something. But more than anything, just very hot.

Looking in Task Manager, CPU was like 40%- top of the list.

So I shut it down, and shortly after that (and for awhile now), it's been fine.

My question is what the heck is it doing? Is utilizing Exchange over HTTP that taxing on it? I also have a POP account, but I wouldn't think that would be my issue!

Well honestly I been very unimpressed with Outlook since 2003. Microsoft needs to sit down and optimize it IMO. Its nothing but a resource hog, talks seconds to respond, and half the time the damn thing crashes on me for just downloading a attachment. Moved to Thunderbird and its been nothing but great for me. I understand you need Exchange and cant move to Thunderbird though. Is Outlook constantly talking to Exchange and updating its information on a non stop basis? You should take a look at settings like that and see what exactly Outlook is doing.

Is Outlook constantly talking to Exchange and updating its information on a non stop basis?

That's what Exchange does...

Unless there is a setting (I can't find it) to where I can make it kindof like a POP account that just syncs every 15 minutes or whatever.

That's what Exchange does...

Unless there is a setting (I can't find it) to where I can make it kindof like a POP account that just syncs every 15 minutes or whatever.

O sorry I dont have any experience with Exchange. I just assumed at certain intervals it call the server, not constantly talk to it.

O sorry I dont have any experience with Exchange. I just assumed at certain intervals it call the server, not constantly talk to it.

It could work that way, not sure exactly myself... but even if it did, it's very quick (seconds... not minutes).

Some tips:

Keep the size of your mailstore reasonable.
Use Cached Exchange Mode (control panel -> mail -> edit account settings)
Compact/cleanup your .ost in Outlook (same screen where you check Cached Exchange Mode -> More Settings... -> Advanced -> Offline Folder File Settings -> compact now

Some tips:

Keep the size of your mailstore reasonable.
Use Cached Exchange Mode (control panel -> mail -> edit account settings)
Compact/cleanup your .ost in Outlook (same screen where you check Cached Exchange Mode -> More Settings... -> Advanced -> Offline Folder File Settings -> compact now

Only thing I hadn't done was compact it... We'll see if that helps any!

With RPC over HTTP you can specify the amount of time to check...

If you really are in Cached Exchange mode, and don't have an send/received configured, it usually will by default check every 10 minutes.

Also be aware of potential issues with Outlook downloading an Offline Address Book.

If you have a POP account configured within the same profile as your Exchange, I would try separating them out. The POP account will use the default delivery folder, which if you're in Cached Mode, is your Exchange mailbox (though you can set a Cached Mode Outlook to deliver to Personal Folders which I don't recommend). However, if you're delivering to a Personal Folder, they'll share that instead. I really recommend keeping them separate if possible.

If you really are in Cached Exchange mode, and don't have an send/received configured, it usually will by default check every 10 minutes.

Also be aware of potential issues with Outlook downloading an Offline Address Book.

If you have a POP account configured within the same profile as your Exchange, I would try separating them out. The POP account will use the default delivery folder, which if you're in Cached Mode, is your Exchange mailbox (though you can set a Cached Mode Outlook to deliver to Personal Folders which I don't recommend). However, if you're delivering to a Personal Folder, they'll share that instead. I really recommend keeping them separate if possible.

We'll my Exchange goes to the Exchange (server) folder, and my POP goes to my Personal Folders file... They're completely separated.

Although a brain fart on my part wiped out my contacts when I synced my phone the other day (try to keep personal separate from work...), I might look into using OWA or something... the problem with that is no signatures or "ease of use".

We'll my Exchange goes to the Exchange (server) folder, and my POP goes to my Personal Folders file... They're completely separated.

Although a brain fart on my part wiped out my contacts when I synced my phone the other day (try to keep personal separate from work...), I might look into using OWA or something... the problem with that is no signatures or "ease of use".

Actually, sometimes mail will get stored in the Exchange account unless you change it in Account Settings. Check your Sent Items folders to be sure.

If you're talking about wiping your Contacts from your Exchange mailbox, if your admins have deleted item retention turned on, you may be able to recover pretty easy.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246153

Also, OWA does have signature support. It can be configured under Options. You can also highlight multiple things, hit delete key or shift-delete. Spell check, S/MIME, etc.

There are signatures in OWA, I know the setting in 2003 is Options> Edit Signature. not sure about where it is in exchange 07 though

It could work that way, not sure exactly myself... but even if it did, it's very quick (seconds... not minutes).

Nah, outlook doesn't use polling to update itself lol. That's what a POP client would do, it just has a socket connection with the server which means communication runs both ways, if the server receives a new message it just sends it to the client instead of waiting for the client to poll the server for data.

Nah, outlook doesn't use polling to update itself lol. That's what a POP client would do, it just has a socket connection with the server which means communication runs both ways, if the server receives a new message it just sends it to the client instead of waiting for the client to poll the server for data.

That's what I thought.
Could be the placebo effect though but changing it to 15 minutes seems to have made it better, although granted I haven't really had a chance to be on my notebook lately.

Back