Vista and Excel Associations

yoV6cam

[H]ard|Gawd
I have Vista and Office XP installed, everything seems to work fine, but for some reason I cannot get any .xls files to open using excel right away. I am unable to associate that extension at all with excel, had to resort to a viewer or manually open up excel, and click open file to use it. Any experience on this?

Right-click an Excel file, and choose "Open With". Choose Excel, and then check the box to set the xls extention to Excel.

yea, but somehow I cannot get that to work. Not only does it not show up in the open with box, when i manually browse for the file and choose it, it does nothing.

Go to Control Panel > Programs and you will find this...(marked in a red box)

afdfghyu2.jpg

Click that and this opens up...scroll down to find the extension...

jghjhgjal3.jpg

Click it and Click Change Program and this will open up...

fhjhgna2.jpg

After that is open, click Browse and find the executable for Excel...

Once you find that, click Open, make sure it is in the Open With box that is pictured above AND selected, and click ok. Click ok when you're finished and hopefully it works. Try a file after you're done, and then give it a reboot to make sure the change stuck if it worked.

thanks guys, but I know to do that, what I'm saying is it won't let me choose excel at all. I scroll to browse programs, and it doesn't take. I guess I'm gonna have to try it with Office 2003 or 2007 cuz it's not working for .xls at all. Any other extension works fine, so I really don't know:confused:

If you open Excel, and then open a file- will it open?

If it does that much, Vista *should* see Excel.

Have you tried browsing directly to the Excel EXE file, and pointing it there?

Back