Vista and Dual Monitors - Taskbar Problem

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by senorcarne, Apr 5, 2008.

1. senorcarne

senorcarne n00b

I just got a 2nd monitor, rotated 90 degrees, and it's so awesome. It's to the left of my main monitor (with the taskbar) and set up perfectly.

There is one problem though: Vista's transparent taskbar. It's on the second monitor, like it should be. But that screen is 1680x1050, and the left screen (the new one) is 1024x1280.

For some reason, on the right display, 1024 pixels of the taskbar are transparent over the other monitor. Meaning, that when I look at the taskbar (which is on one screen only), it's fully transparent, but 1/2 of the transparency shows the wallpaper of the OTHER monitor, and the other half shows the wallpaper of the 2nd screen monitor.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. ComputerBox34

ComputerBox34 Right in the Box

Do you mean 1280x1024??

In my setup, both of the monitors have the same background, even if the resolutions are different.

Could you post a screenshot so that we can actually see what you mean?

3. senorcarne

senorcarne n00b

No, 1024x1280 - it's rotated 90 degrees, and it was really annoying finding a background for it.

here's a screenshot
    [​IMG]

4. Zinn

Zinn Guest

freakin weird.
    no ideas :(

5. Zardoz

Zardoz 2[H]4U

6. Uberbob102000

Uberbob102000 2[H]4U

Do you have ultramon by any chance? Because that does that sometimes for me when I have 2 different wallpapers with ultramon.

7. senorcarne

senorcarne n00b

I don't have ultramon, nor do I want it to pay for that.
    I do use the free DisplayFusion... you think thats the problem?

8. digital_exhaust

digital_exhaust [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008

I doubt it... it doesn't look like DisplayFusion does anything with the taskbar itself.... Can you disable it and see if that solves the problem?

[​IMG]

9. GlobalFear

GlobalFear 2[H]4U

Ultramon has a nice trial period. Try it and see if your problem is solved. ;)

10. TheRapture

TheRapture [H]ardness Supreme

Ultramon, some things ARE worth paying for....and this is one of them!!! I have been using it for years and it is worth every penny.

11. senorcarne

senorcarne n00b

I got a trial of ultramon, but it still doesn't fix the problem - the dual taskbars on each monitor is really cool, but NOW they show the reflection of the wrong monitor.

I determined its a vista monitor issue kind of thing - my primary monitor is detected in vista as monitor 2. setting monitor 1 as the default fixes the issue, but vista's monitor 1 is rotated 90 degrees and doesn't look great. (And by vista, it may well be XP too, but XP doesnt have transparent taskbars)

so, how do I get vista to change the definition of the monitors?

12. GlobalFear

GlobalFear 2[H]4U

How about you swap the monitors physically? i.e. plug the dvi cable of monitor 1 into dvi port 2 on your graphics card?

13. jyi786

jyi786 [H]ardness Supreme

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have this EXACT same problem, and it's driving me nuts. Transparency is all nice and everything, but simply won't work with dual monitors and different wallpapers. It has something to do with wallpaper tiling of some sort, that much I figured out. I still can pin the blame on Ultramon, the wallpaper changer, or Vista itself, because I can't figure it out.

I did find out one thing, though. When you AUTO HIDE the taskbar, the transparency displays properly through the taskbar!!! But I don't want my taskbar auto-hidden, I hate that. :(

14. calebb

calebb 1337 liek JeffK

Looks like a display driver problem. Contact nVidia / ATi and send them screenshots so they can work on a fix.