Vista and 3rd party PVR Software

ScYcS

2[H]4U
Well, I'm getting 2 copies of Home premium at some point but for now i have Vista Business.

Is there any freeware (!) 3rd party PVR software that works in Vista that is halfway decent? I have not installed Vista Business yet and won't if there isn't any PVR software for it.

On a side note, which PVR software seems the flavor of the day? I need mostly live TV and the program guide. The PVR part of the PVR software is actually secondary for me....

Hauppauge has their own solution "WinTV" for PVRing and Viewing.

Popular other software are SAGETV and MythTV and BeyondTV,

Good news is that hauppauge has a VISTA client

My theory (I haven't tried it, nor researched it, so I can only theorize) is that SAGETV will probably work on vista very well.

MythTV, afaik is only for *nix, but it is very popular.

BeyondTV, imho, sucks

Well, none of the above qualifies since i don't want to pay for it and don't have a Hauppauge card (got a 550 chipset).

:(

I might try Media Portal....

Well, none of the above qualifies since i don't want to pay for it and don't have a Hauppauge card (got a 550 chipset).

:(

I might try Media Portal....

Right. I was showing you by example that the answer to your question was -NO-

Couldn't disagree more. BeyondTV is a great PVR program. Full HDTV support. Snapstream has a very helpful and friendly user community. It is also compatible with Beyond Media which features DVD Library, allowing you to access all of your ripped DVDs from a handy on screen menu. Highly recommended.

Back