Vista Administrator Question

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
I am the administrator on my computer obviously but I also notice under the security tab I am listed under "Users" with restricted access meaning I dont have full control and I also ran into a problem installing Adobe 8 saying I didn't not have permission to the temp folder. I dont understand this when I am the administrator.

any suggestions?

Thanks

I've noticed that as well. I think the Administrator is figured both as a user and an administrator. If you will notice you get the admin confirmation box for any changes even when you are logged on as admin. If you were just a user, the admin permission box would not be available for you to see, so it's basically a double account from what I can tell.

All default accounts are put into both the Administrators and Users groups starting from XP Pro (that's as far back as I remember, maybe with 2k too?).

In Vista, under UAC, even if you're on the only account on the system, the OS will treat you as part of the Users group until a program asks for elevated privileges, at which time that UAC confirmation box will appear.

For compatibility, if you know what you're doing anyway, disable UAC and install everything that way, then turn it back on.

In Windows, if you're a member of more than one group, and one of those groups denies you access to something, that overrides any allowances from the other accounts.

So in the case of the Administrators/Users group membership... Anything the user group denies overrides the Administrators group priviliges.

Back