Vista & Admin desktop?

eeyrjmr

[H]ardness Supreme
I was just wandering if this is possible in Vista?

In Win2000 and WinXP at work when I land myself in a situation where admin is needed BUT I don't want to log-off BUT also need full admin desktop (would use fast user switch in XP, but as part of a domain not possible) I spawn explorer as admin

while runas can get alot done (runas /user:Admin mmc.exe alway good) sometimes a full desktop is needed (maybe more then just running one app as admin is needed).

I like to start a cmd.exe as administrator runas /user:Admin cmd.exe and that open up the task-manager and KILL explorer.exe (all applications are still running... good if simulating and don't want to quit). Then in the administrator cmd.exe shell I start Explorer.exe

This gives me a desktop with full admin privileges so I can then do what needs to be done without having todo alot of runas or logoff. Once I have finished I just goto START-logoff and logout as admin. I am presented with a blue-screen which a quick CTRL-SHIFT-ESC brings up the task manager (as the normal user) from which I can re-spawn explorer.exe as the normal user, with all my applications still running

can this still be done in Vista?

Read about UAC at http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1170936

Short answer: by default, Vista prompts the user if an action requires escalation. If the user is an Administrator, it is a yes/no toggle box. If the user is not in the Admin group, then the user must provide credentials that have permission to do an action.

As such, any shortcut/application can be set to run as an administrator at any time (either by saving the shortcut or doing it ad hoc), at which time UAC would prompt for credentials or verification.

I know about UAC, and that wasn't what I was asking but thanks anyway

You can fast user switch a domain connected Vista machine.

ahh now that is more like the reply! thanks.
the kill&spawn explorer was the only real way (to get a functioning desktop) in XP when attached to a domain

Back