• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Vista Activation

Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
12
Hi, i'm hoping I could get some answers here about my vista activation. So here's the story -

I built my new rig and installed vista and all the drivers no probs. I didn't activate it, but it said 'auto-activate in 3 days'...anyway, long story short, my mobo died and I am replacing it with a better model (ASUS Maximus Formula X38 Special Edition).

I'm just wondering, since my PC broke before the auto-activation timer was up, will my license have actually been activated? Does the auto-activation prompt you to activate after these 3 days?

I'm just hoping that it requires some kind of confirmation instead os sending the info to MS telling them to activate me in 3 days...does anybody know anything about how the whole thing works?
 
if your copy isn't an oem copy i wouldn't worry either way. if it is an oem I still wouldn't be worried. you have to do the activation yourself.
 
No. You have to have a computer with working internet connection for it to activate automatically. As a matter of fact, quite a few people will "test" Vista on hardware before activating it to check for any problems or incompatibilities.

If you're really paranoid, just format and reinstall Vista
 
Ok, so I should be fine then. I doubt i'll be lucky enough for Vista to boot without a re-install, so I guess its time to dig out the linux CD and get the files off my HDD.

Somebody mentioned that if you re-installed Vista without a re-format, that it kept your old 'My Docs' files. Can anybody confirm this to be true?

My Vista, btw, is - Vista Ultimate 64 (OEM)
 
I went from an Asus A8N32-SLI to Asus P5K-E Wifi to eVGA 790i and possibly soon to X38 all without reinstall.
 
Well, the mobo should arrive tomorrow, so I guess i'll know for sure then. AT least I hope it arrives tomorrow, it better do for £12 delivery...
 
Back
Top