Vista Academic Questions?

RobDMB

Weaksauce
I can get vista relatively cheap through an academic site since I am a student. I was wondering if academic versions of the software can be moved to different computers if I should upgrade to a new computer in the future. Of course I realize it would have to be removed from the old computer, but can academic versions be moved or are they tied to the computer like OEM software?

If you're talking about the MSDNAA (MSDN Academic Alliance) then yes, it works like a full retail version. Otherwise... I'm not really sure.

Yes. It's a regular upgrade copy, with "Academic" stamped on the case- otherwise it's the same exact thing as anything else.

Note I said UPGRADE copy, the key that comes with it is for the upgrade. So you'll have to use the workaround on it.

Yes. It's a regular upgrade copy, with "Academic" stamped on the case- otherwise it's the same exact thing as anything else.

Note I said UPGRADE copy, the key that comes with it is for the upgrade. So you'll have to use the workaround on it.

Mine isn't an upgrade.

so they are not tied to the computer like oem? stores are selling these to anyone for like 70

You must be referring to the retail package 'Academic Edition Vista Home Premium Upgrade' product then. No, it is not a license subject to the restrictions of an OEM license. It enjoys the same support and portability as any other Retail Vista license.

There are restriction imposed upon eligibility to purchase it, which vary from country to country. Once purchased, installed and activated, though, there is only a single restriction imposed upon its use. It is a 'personal use only' license which must not be used for commercial purposes.

Back