Vista 64bit wont allow me to change installation path

Anyone know how to set the default drivepath in windows vista 64bit? I changed the registry entries (both of them) in the current version file already, and it still wont change :-/

Maybe I'm misreading, but if I had to venture a guess, you tried moving your Program Files directory to another partition, and now you are having an issue installing some software?

MY guess is this relates to the Program Files vs. Program Files (X86) issues. Some of that does seem hardcoded, so maybe reg hacks aren't working as you'd expect?

my apologies for posting in a hurry.
My problem is the fact some Programs will not allow me to install them into a different hard drive other than C:. I attempted to alleviate this problem by changing the reg entry, that worked so well with 32bit. When I changed these entries on 64bit, it acts like nothing was ever changed. Except for the fact some preinstalled apps no longer work. Was wondering if anyone knew another way around this?

now that I think about it, some 64bit apps did install in the directory I designated. Maybe it has to do with the x86 v x64.

Either way, you're asking for trouble trying to install your apps elsewhere. There's nothing to gain by doing so, therefore, I'd consider undoing the changes, and re-installing your apps.

How many damn apps do you have installed? I've never made an OS drive more than 50GB. Usually it's around 20GB.

The only thing I install elsewhere is Games, which have their own ~100GB partition.

How many damn apps do you have installed? I've never made an OS drive more than 50GB. Usually it's around 20GB.

The only thing I install elsewhere is Games, which have their own ~100GB partition.

Well, I can say that you definitely don't want to limit Vista to only 20GB. I install mine at ~70GB, and although the OS install only gets to about 15GB, it climbs to 25GB in about a day and up past 30GB in a week. I'm not sure what it is doing, perhaps collecting system restore data and/or system logs, but it climbs fast. That is all with no other programs installed. You really don't want to restrict Vista to that small of a partition.

Vista will use up to 15% of the volume for system restore and Previous Versions by default, yes.

I don't personally use Program Files much; I install to \Applications\ and \Games\ folders. 32-bit applications will be redirected to the x86 folder automatically, only 64-bit programs receive the true location of Program Files.

Back