Vista 64bit: Where should I install games?

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,
I am about to install Crysis on a fresh Vista 64x, but there are TWO Program Files (on with the (x86) - What is the difference between the two?

Where should I install it?

Also, do I have to install rest of current games into x86 folders? Is Crysis a true 64x bit game?

Thanks.

It doesn't matter where you install, but Windows will try to automatically put 32-bit applications in the Program Files (x86) folder and 64-bit applications in the regular Program Files folder.

To be safe, install every program to the folder it's planning to use by default.

Why? I thought it was just to keep things organized. :confused:
It is, which is why you should follow in step. There's no reason, and nothing positive to gain by making a change like this. If the program in question wants to use the x86 folder (because it's an x86 program), then that's where it should be installed.

I have used C:\GAMES since about 1984. Simple enough.

FYI- "C:\Program Files" is where 64-bit Windows sticks 64-bit stuff. "C:\Program Files (x86)" is where 64-bit Windows sticks 32-bit stuff. Windows seems to care about what goes in which directory, but I have never seen it complain if the wrong bit thing is in the wrong place. There is a mechanism in 64-bit Windows that apparently knows if an app being installed is 32-bit or 64-bit, and will recommend the appropriate directory (usually).

In keeping small windows partitions for easy formatting, I install all my games everywhere but program files. But to each his own. I've never had any problem installing games wherever I want.

I usually install games on a separate partition. I've never had a problem installing apps in a directory of my choice in Vista.

I always install in default locations. Program files, or Program Files (x86).

It makes patches and everything seem like they will go with more easy if everything is where the developer expects it to be. Most patches or third party things will still work fine, it's just the odd game/third party mod that is looking for the default location in the past. Meh.

I also like having all applications on C:
I have My Documents, all my apps, profiles, mail, etc stored on D:
This means at anytime without batting an eye I can reformat C: and not lose anything important since everything is saved on D: and only application installs are on C. So reformat and reinstall latest version of all apps. Re-point everything, outlook, my docs, my pics, my music, etc to D:

Back