Vista 64bit Install problems

FRZ

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

So after getting my new system to post I went into intalling Vista Home Prem 64bit and it has been nothing but problems

First time around the intall hung on the expanding files portion of the install. After restarting I tried again and it made it all the way to completing installation but then it hung once more. a few more attempts either had the computer restart causing the install to fail or it hung at a certain point during the install. I have read all over the internet and have tried using only one memory stick and unplugging any devices except mouse and keyboard but no luck.

Please if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it

System specs
Intel E8500
ASUS P5Q3
Corsair DHX DDR3 2x2GB
Sapphire 4870
WD Velociraptor 150GB (the drive I am installing windows on)

I'd run some hardware diags, like memtest and one for the HDD, to make sure it isn't a hardware issue. Then try the standard swaps, like a different optical drive, different data cable, etc.

I'd run some hardware diags, like memtest and one for the HDD, to make sure it isn't a hardware issue. Then try the standard swaps, like a different optical drive, different data cable, etc.

Is there anyway i can run these tests on a new system with no OS?

Yes, those tests are meant to be run outside of the OS anyway. Memtest is a bootable CD, and the drive diags are usually bootable.

Looks like you're installing with 4gb

There's been plenty of reports about Vista having problems installing with 4gb installed; take one stick out, install, and see how that goes, and of course put the other stick back in when you're done.

well I turned off all onboard devices and switched the sata cable and it worked. So far so good

Thanks for all your help

Back