Vista 64bit + BF2 = error

roshambo14

n00b
I just built a new box for gaming, and decided I wanted to try out Vista Ultimate 64bit. Battlefield 2 is the game I play the most by far, and it seems to run great, for a couple hours at a time at least. After about 3 hours or so, I get this error:

The description for Event ID 0 from source cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Anyone have any idea what that is? Machine specs are AMD 5200 X2, 8800GTX, 2GB.

100.65 drivers. It also happened in 100.64 too though.

To clarify, the message above was in the event viewer. When it crashes it just says BF2.exe has stopped working.

Well make sure you check all your drivers not just video card. Go through and see if newer revisions for chipset/soundcard/whatever are up to date and test. I'm not getting the same thing with my config. I can play to date bf2 and bf2142 without issue.

I already did that. This is on a brand new install on a brand new box. The only reason I bought Vista in the first place was because everywhere I read, people said they had no problems with BF2. Im really close to going back to XP, as much as I dont want to. I like everything else about Vista, besides the fact I cant play BF2.

I will say the problem is probably not with bf2.. but something with the OS. For instance. I have the little gadget where you can have icons in your gadget bar. If I Launch bf2 or whatever through it it errors out. But if I go to the games section off of the start menue and launch it through there it works. (shrug) try that for me?

Im at work right now, so I cant try it yet, but Ive launched it from the desktop icon, the quick launch icon, and via xfire, all with the same results. The weird thing is, I reinstalled the game yesterday, and it worked fine with no lag. Then it crashed with that error and it runs like crap after that.

Back