Vista 64 Tweaks / Software Advice

danzaman

Weaksauce
Finally getting my new computer Thursday (specs in my sig) and had Vista Home Premium 64Bit installed on it after all the input of this forum and my own gut feeling. Any recommendations on what I should install/tweak when I get it? I've seen some pretty cool performance tweaks Vista can undergo as well as some cool software that utilizes the 64bit OS (such as Firefox/Thunderbird 64). Any advice on software/tweaking of this OS would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

cool software that utilizes the 64bit OS (such as Firefox/Thunderbird 64).
64-bit browsers are cute but unfortunately seriously crippled by the lack of 64-bit plugins, the most serious offender being the lack of Flash. Every time you want to look at Youtube or any other Flash-based thing, you're copying the link and opening up a 32-bit browser. Adobe's programmers must be very challenged by 64-bit seeing as there's no 64-bit Flash plugin for Linux either.

That being said, I do run 64-bit apps whenever I can, including Firefox x64. I don't watch too many Youtube videos.

One could argue that Flash is broken even on the x86 side of things as well.

As far as tweaks, there isn't really much that needs to be done with Vista. Just make sure you've got updated drivers, and you're pretty much good to go.

wow, didn't realize Firefox64 didn't have flash plugins. What other applications are out that to take advantage of the 64bit platform?

Release version of Crysis (beta is 32bit).

And the 64-bit upgrade for Far Cry ofcourse.

Cakewalk Sonar also has a 64-bit version of its software... as does SoftImage.
They used these two applications to promote the XP 64-bit platform at the time:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/videos/default.mspx

Any .NET or Java application will also run in 64-bit because it is compiled at install- or runtime (ofcourse you need to install the 64-bit version of the VM).

Other than that, most applications are server/enterprise-oriented, like eg Exchange or 64-bit database engines.

wow, didn't realize Firefox64 didn't have flash plugins. What other applications are out that to take advantage of the 64bit platform?

The CS3 is supposed to be 64bit, or at least part of it is. I think Photoshop CS3 is 64bit.

EDIT: Nevermind, they chose not to go 64bit this time.

I'm in the same boat right now, considering a Vista x64 upgrade at the end of the week, and I'm currently gathering all the drivers, hotfixes, utilities, and other application installers i can to make it as easy as possible.

I'm in the same boat right now, considering a Vista x64 upgrade at the end of the week, and I'm currently gathering all the drivers, hotfixes, utilities, and other application installers i can to make it as easy as possible.

finally someone does it right ;)

finally someone does it right ;)

There's no other way to do it in my mind, reformat or re-install or upgrade or whatever, be prepared before you do it, or you deserve what's waiting on the other side.

appreciate all the advice so far...I heard Adobe CS3 was all 64bit, is it not???

Hey guys,

I was going to open a new thread, but thought this was as good a spot as any to ask...

What tools should I use to test/stress test my new x64 build (assuming there are different tools than one would use for 32bit OS)? I want to make sure it's good to go before I start installing all my shiznit.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I was going to open a new thread, but thought this was as good a spot as any to ask...

What tools should I use to test/stress test my new x64 build (assuming there are different tools than one would use for 32bit OS)? I want to make sure it's good to go before I start installing all my shiznit.

Thanks!
good question, I would like some input on this as well

Back