Vista 64 needs how much hard drive space?

provoko

Gawd
I'm speaking of the final version of Vista 64. I'd like to know how big my partition should be for Vista64 when it comes out in January next year? The partition will be for vista64 and page file only.

I'm formatting/reinstalling windows xp and I plan on giving XP it's own partition, so naturally I want it big enough for Vista64 too.

Well XP 32 needs a minimum of 1.3GB of disk space, but I would NOT install it on a drive that small.

What kind of hard disk setup do you have? How many drives, how large they are, and your current partition setup?

A 20GB partition would work, but that's still kinda small. I usualy keep XP on a 40GB partition just to make sure I dont run out of room (and have Windows move my "My Documents" folder over to a second drive so I can store as much as I want there without it bloating my C:\ drive).

Two drives. 250gb and 80gb. I plan on having 3 partitions on my 250: windows 10-20gb; games 150-180gb; programs rest 60-70gb. And on my 80gb will just be for filesharing/storage.

How about Windows and some primary apps (Antivirus, Office, etc) on the 80GB drive, and everything else on the 250?

Might as well just install your games into "D:\Games" and programs into "D:\Program Files", instead of partitioning the drive.

My 80gb drive is ATA, older and slower. My 250gb is SATA, newer and faster. Also separating program files, games, and windows avoids fragmentation.

Ah, I see. How about partitioning the 250GB drive into 30GB windows, 110GB Games, 110GB Programs?

That leaves the extra 80GB drive for storage. Once you get windows installed just move the My Documents folder over to the 80 GB drive and you'll be set.

BTW, all you need to do to move the My Documents folder is right click My Documents icon on the desktop and select "properties". When you change the location in the target box you'll be asked if you want to move the My Documents folder. Select "Yes". Done.

Thank you.

But is 30gb for windows an arbitraty number? I'm looking for the minimum amount of space where I can install Windows Vista 64bit to and leave the rest for games/programs.

Currently 10gb is for windows xp, correct? Or can that be smallar to install windows xp to? And what will be the number for vista? Currently for the beta it's what, 40gb? And in janurary it shoulbe be what? Thanks again.

provoko said:
Also separating program files, games, and windows avoids fragmentation.
That is incorrect, sir.

Having them on separate partitions simply means the OS has to keep jumping to separate partitions in order to fetch the data. If each of those partitions still happen to reside on the same physical disk, this means the read heads are going to need to move across the disk numerous times to complete any given operation. This means having to cache files during the seek process. This means a likelihood of fragmentation.

It also means a higher likelihood of wearing your hard drive out way faster than it would normally.

Whoever told you splitting the install up like that on a single disk would increase performance needs to stop giving advice. If you must split up an OS install, then separate physical disks is the only way to avoid longer seek times that come with the heads needing to move across the disk.

I should have said that it reduces fragmentation.

The advice can be found throughout the storage sub forum and other forums. Now I'm confused on what to do.

Still, same question for vista, how much space?

You don't understand: it doesn't reduce fragmentation, it increases the likelihood of fragmentation for each file you use.

Perhaps what you read from others was to have it on separate disks (which is still debateable, from an OS point of view). However, different disks is not the same as different partitions. You can have more than one partition to a disk.

Here is some info on hardware for Vista. Google is your friend.

Isn't it better to seperate 60gb of game files from your operating system/program files even if it's on a partition?

provoko said:
Isn't it better to seperate 60gb of game files from your operating system/program files even if it's on a partition?
Assuming you mean separate partitions on the same disk: No. I will explain.

Let's say we have your disk, with a read-write head:
disk1.jpg

Let's go ahead and split that disk up into three partitions, one for the OS, one for games, and one for program files:
disk2.jpg

Now, assuming Partition 1 is the OS, Partition 2 is the programs, and Partition 3 is where you have your new game, "UbarFighter-X Soopreem," installed. You decide you are going to play UFXS, so you double-click the icon. The following is what the read-write heads on your hard drive need to do now:
disk3.jpg

The heads have to travel over the contents of Partition 1, over the contents of Partition 2, over to the contents of Partition 3, where your game is stored. Throughout the course of the time you are playing the game, the read-write heads are travelling back and forth, constantly caching and paging files that are in use. The result of this is inevitably fragmentation and a lot of work put on moving parts in the component.

In case it isn't distinctly apparent to you: all moving parts wear down. The more you use a moving part, the more quickly it wears down. The more you have to cache or page the files, the more quickly things fragment (in Windows). This is all assuming the drivve/partition configuration you described.

Wouldn't that only apply IFF the entire disk consists of 1 platter?

If the disk has 4 platters, wouldn't it be better to partition exactly along the platter borders?

If what you say is true, then I should get a very small SATA II drive just for the OS and programs that don't get used a lot (storage), and get another huge drive for everything else.

Are the new SATA II drives a lot faster than my old IDE 7200rpm drive? Should the OS reside on the faster drive? Would these problems be resolved with the new Vista fetch technology that allows you to store the frequently used files on a USB key?

GreNME said:
The heads have to travel over the contents of Partition 1, over the contents of Partition 2, over to the contents of Partition 3, where your game is stored. Throughout the course of the time you are playing the game, the read-write heads are travelling back and forth, constantly caching and paging files that are in use. The result of this is inevitably fragmentation and a lot of work put on moving parts in the component.

Wait, what if I put my page file on another hard drive; then what happens?

WickedWeasel said:
If the disk has 4 platters, wouldn't it be better to partition exactly along the platter borders?
I don't think hard drives work that way... you don't fill up the platters sequentially, you fill up a certain region on the first platter (corresponding to a particular cylinder adress), then the same cylinder address on the second platter, and so on.

GreNME said:
Assuming you mean separate partitions on the same disk: No.
One way or another you're going to have your OS and your games in different locations on the disk, and the head is going to travel back and forth between them. How much of this movement is unneccesary depends only on how much free space there is on the partitons. If you keep your OS partition as small as possible (5GB seems to do me just fine), and have your games at the start of the next partition, the difference will be insignificant.

provoko said:
Seems to me the best setup is having your OS, your page file, and your apps/games on separate drives if you want to minimise seek times. Even if you've got 2GB of RAM and shouldn't even be using the page file, Windows still seems to do so...

You know, you don't have to take my advice. You can go ahead and follow the claims of other people if you want. I am explaining why I don't suggest it.

WickedWeasel said:
Wouldn't that only apply IFF the entire disk consists of 1 platter?
No, because the platters are stacked directly above each other, as are the read-write heads. Each read-write head does not move independently of the head on another platter. They all move at exactly the same time because they are all on the same mechanical arm. What I displayed applies equally no matter how many platters are on the drive.

WickedWeasel said:
That would almost be a good argument, except I am willing to bet you have no way of being able to place a partition on a single platter. In fact, I would love to see someone find a way to do that and prove what they did.

In other words: no, it doesn't work like that.

WickedWeasel said:
If what you say is true, then I should get a very small SATA II drive just for the OS and programs that don't get used a lot (storage), and get another huge drive for everything else.
You should get one drive for the OS and programs, and a separate drive for your My Docs. If you want to get really tweaked, you could get yourself a third drive and have the paging file on the first partition (and, if you want, archival storage on the rest).

WickedWeasel said:
Are the new SATA II drives a lot faster than my old IDE 7200rpm drive?
It depends on the model drive you get, but on the whole they are supposed to be faster.

WickedWeasel said:
Should the OS reside on the faster drive?
The OS and programs, yes.

WickedWeasel said:
Would these problems be resolved with the new Vista fetch technology that allows you to store the frequently used files on a USB key?
No, they wouldn't be resolved. Some performance issues might be lessened, and only under the right circumstances, but no software can fix the problem of improperly laid out hardware.

provoko said:
The same thing, only it takes just slightly longer. It will still fragment quickly and wear out your drive faster (which isn't important to dudes who swap hardware every six months, but I prefer counting lifetimes in years).

LuminaryJanitor said:
One way or another you're going to have your OS and your games in different locations on the disk, and the head is going to travel back and forth between them. How much of this movement is unneccesary depends only on how much free space there is on the partitons. If you keep your OS partition as small as possible (5GB seems to do me just fine), and have your games at the start of the next partition, the difference will be insignificant.
Not as insignificant as you might think. All of those different partitions need to be referenced by the OS core components, and even if you turn indexing off (which isn't a bad idea when under 80GB) you are still going to increase disk thrashing by putting the programs on a separate partition like that. In the end, using the configuration you claim, there isn't even an advantage to having them split up. Even the built-in defragmenter in Windows attempts to put files that are used most often in close proximity to one another, and forcing them to be that far apart on the disk just leaves a constant gap in the disk between the OS and the programs-- even if the core OS and most common programs were on the first blocks of their reaspective partitions, there would be nearly five GB of platter space between them that the heads would have to traverse on a regular basis.

LuminaryJanitor said:
Seems to me the best setup is having your OS, your page file, and your apps/games on separate drives if you want to minimise seek times.
That is based on theoretical nonsense. If you want to minimize seek times, keep your disk clean of temp internet files, temp installation files, and regularly clean out your prefetch. Then defrag so that the most used files are mostly stacked together. Windows XP can even do those things for you automagically: automate disk cleanup and automate defrag. Set each of those to run weekly.

LuminaryJanitor said:
Even if you've got 2GB of RAM and shouldn't even be using the page file, Windows still seems to do so...
So does Linux, and so does BSD, and so does OS X. The reason it still pages is because virtual memory is critical to the stability of operations for the OS. That is why it can "multitask" so well. Otherwise, if you were flying along on your OS and some system file was stored in a location in RAM that had a bad block (and all volatile memory eventually gets bad blocks), your whole OS would crash hard. OS 9 and Windows 98 were good examples of running without good virtual memory.

the diagram above makes sense, but arguing that splitting your hard drive into partitions will cause your drive to fail prematurely assumes that having just one partition will always ensure that your games are physically right next to your OS. as you fill up your drive, it's inevitable that you're going to have files that are nowhere near the OS on the platter. you can defragment all you want, but there's no way you can get every single game you install right next to the page file.

if splitting drives into OS/apps partitions really made them fail unusually quickly, you'd hear about it all over the forums, since a lot of people here do it that way. to me, the convenience of being able to reformat just my OS partition without having to back up then restore everything else outweighs the supposed danger of wearing out my drive too quickly (i've got a drive that's been split into 3 partitions and runs torrents almost 16 hours a day that's almost 4 years old now), and you should be doing regular backups anyway.

Thanks for all that information. Maybe another way of minimizing the access time and wear and tear on the harddrive would be to minimize the distance between the last sector in partition 1 and the first sector in partition 2. If the OS and all the important programs that must always be installed (like email, office, etc...) takes up 13G, then C drive should be 15G to account for small downloads. Then the distance the drive arm has to move to reach Partition 2 would be minimized by that slack space of 2G.

The reason I want C drive to be small is because I plan to build a Ghost image and whenever there is a trojan or virus, I can simply restore the Ghost image without having to restore all the data and games. I can just reinstall the game, and it won't re-copy all the files over again since they already reside on Drive D. I also want to minimize the size of the Ghost image. A lean install of Vista with all the programs I really need could be about 15G, which is really large compared to my WinXP image now which is only 1.5G.

When I get my conroe system, I might want to use an old Maxtor 80G IDE (ultra 133?) 7200 rpm drive just for the OS, but I don't know if it will bottleneck the system, so I might have to use the new SATA II drive and partition it.

Hmm, looks like 3 drives is the way to go. I just worked some partition magic and I think I've now got the "ideal" setup here. In case you were wondering, I put the pagefile on its own partition because I don't want (or need) it getting backed up when I make disk images ;)

80GB Drive:
Partition 1 (80GB): Windows and some primary apps installed on it (office, antivirus, things like that).

160GB Drive:
Partition 1 (4GB): Pagefile.
Partition 2 (156GB): My Documents folder (I store things like CD and DVD images, so 150GB is actualy getting sorta cramped)

300GB Drive:
Partition 1 (300GB): Programs, Games, and a compressed backup of each of the other drives.

LuminaryJanitor said:
You misquoted me. I said having one drive for OS and programs and a second for My Docs is the optimal way to go, with a third containing a paging partition at the beginning of the disk if you want to be extra 'l33t' about it (I have never seen real-world numbers showing it helps). In every drive configuration I suggest, the OS and Programs are together. I acknowledge and realize that other people suggest otherwise, but I recommend against it on single-user environments because there is no real-world advantages, no one has ever proven the claims that there are, and the risk to wear and tear on the drives is often increased in the configurations people use.

WickedWeasel said:
Thanks for all that information. Maybe another way of minimizing the access time and wear and tear on the harddrive would be to minimize the distance between the last sector in partition 1 and the first sector in partition 2. If the OS and all the important programs that must always be installed (like email, office, etc...) takes up 13G, then C drive should be 15G to account for small downloads. Then the distance the drive arm has to move to reach Partition 2 would be minimized by that slack space of 2G.
It doesn't work like that. If you run any kind of defrag program, even the built-in one, programs are going to be moved to the earlier sectors on their partition, and you can't really move things around so that programs and files you want on the physical disk (the OS doesn't see things that way).

WickedWeasel said:
The reason I want C drive to be small is because I plan to build a Ghost image and whenever there is a trojan or virus, I can simply restore the Ghost image without having to restore all the data and games. I can just reinstall the game, and it won't re-copy all the files over again since they already reside on Drive D. I also want to minimize the size of the Ghost image. A lean install of Vista with all the programs I really need could be about 15G, which is really large compared to my WinXP image now which is only 1.5G.
Yes, I figured this is both the reason for wanting to do it and the hopes for how doing things that way will work out. However, I can guarantee you that you will find that setup will not work for you the way you want. The second you reinstall from the ghost image and try to run any program, things are going to be decisively wrong and not work correctly. However, the thinking you are trying to apply to a single-user environment of Windows has three major flaws:
  • The first problem is using non-standard paths. This confuses Windows unless things are explicitly installed under that specific instance of Windows. In other words, you can't introduce non-standard paths that are a separate drive to a fresh Windows install and expect them to work seamlessly. There are simply too many environment variable, registry entry, and other parts of the app-running process to make such a task easier or faster than simply reinstalling the program in the first place.
  • The second problem is similar to the second: GUID and permissions. A fresh install of Windows is going to have a totally different GUID than its previous install, meaning the permissions from the previous install will not apply to the new install. You would literally have to go through every file and folder, re-applying permissions in exactly the same (or all:Full Control, the Win equivalent of a 777) configuration as the old install but applying the new GUID for the administrators group. At the very least, you would need to clean out the old GUID that no longer exists. This, along with the path-checking involved in the previous paragraph, means that just getting the already-installed programs on a separate partition to work is likely going to take longer than simply reinstalling them in the first place.
  • The third problem is that people assume that the hardware is the bottleneck in this situation. In fact, the software is the bottleneck, because the OS does not see the hardware in terms of physical drives. The OS (Windows) sees only logical drives, and is going to access in the same fashion whether the partitions are on the same disk or are spread out over sixteen different disks. The OS is going to access a single partition the same whether it is on one disk or striped over five disks. If the programs are on a separate drive on the first partition, the chances of the OS finding the program faster are better, but running the program still means running it through the OS ("okay-ing" it, in a manner of speaking). This means starting on one logical drive, checking a whole other logical drive, and then popping back to the original logical drive. If anything, the amount of RAM you have is going to be the bottleneck here, because the amount of data that can be cached in memory is going to lessen the extra overhead caused by having to jump between drives (as opposed to simply running them from the same drive)

I am more than willing to bet that the idea for splitting apps and the OS on separate partitions came from people seeing something similar done in multi-user environments and thinking it can have the same benefits in a single-user environment. In multi-user environments-- whether it be a domain, a web server, an app server, or just some network location that gets accessed a lot by multiple users at the same time-- the reason for segregating the apps and OS is indeed for performance, but not in the "[H]ard" way that you are thinking. Instead, this is done in multi-user environments to allow a number of users to access the networked resources (usually apps or data) and still not be causing a heavy load on the base OS install. This allows the users to have whatever access the sysadmin defines for the data or network app, and yet never have access to the actual operating system where the networked resources are stored. This improves performance in that it lowers administrative overhead and lowers the effective area through which things can go wrong. It's not going to get more frames per second in Quake, because such a situation would not be optimal for running games or even running single-user applications.

What you guys are aiming for is a footprint that can fit on a disk for ghosting. However, you are going about it all wrong. If you are starting from the base OS install, installing updates, installing programs, and then doing a sysprep-ghost-DVD, then you should have plenty of space to fit the OS and your most favorite programs all on one DVD. Then all you have to do in the case of catastrophe is reinstall some of the other programs that would either not fit or you don't use often. In fact, what you might want to look at instead is creating a group of MSIs and burning them to a separate disk. You can use a program like WinInstall LE to make the MSI, and there is even a free trial version for you to download. With two disks, one with the sysprepped OS and the second with the extra apps already configured how you like and packaged up, you can minimize your reinstall time to however long it takes to simply unpack the data from the disks you made. You would have theoretically already configured stuff how you want, so almost all of that would be the same.

The major issue people have with my suggestion is that it takes a lot of work, and then also requires making new MSIs when one gets new software or gets rid of older software. This is indeed true, and is why it isn't done by everyone.

Thanks for all the information. I'm learning, but I still don't understand a few things.

Please explain the following quotes further:

GreNME said:
WickedWeasel said:
It doesn't work like that. If you run any kind of defrag program, even the built-in one, programs are going to be moved to the earlier sectors on their partition, and you can't really move things around so that programs and files you want on the physical disk (the OS doesn't see things that way).

and

The third problem is that people assume that the hardware is the bottleneck in this situation. In fact, the software is the bottleneck, because the OS does not see the hardware in terms of physical drives. The OS (Windows) sees only logical drives, and is going to access in the same fashion whether the partitions are on the same disk or are spread out over sixteen different disks. The OS is going to access a single partition the same whether it is on one disk or striped over five disks. If the programs are on a separate drive on the first partition, the chances of the OS finding the program faster are better, but running the program still means running it through the OS ("okay-ing" it, in a manner of speaking). This means starting on one logical drive, checking a whole other logical drive, and then popping back to the original logical drive. If anything, the amount of RAM you have is going to be the bottleneck here, because the amount of data that can be cached in memory is going to lessen the extra overhead caused by having to jump between drives (as opposed to simply running them from the same drive)

So defrag moves data to early sectors; does that mean it's moving data out of the partition? But your response doesn't explain why WickedWeasel is wrong in his reasoning. Please explain.

Whats actually happening when the OS is "okay-ing" the data? If the page file is on another drive, it's not paging, so what's this okaying?

I thought the process was like this with multiple drives:
-OS starts in memory
-Run a program
-1st hard drive reads dll/etc files to load into memory
-At the same time the 2nd hard drive is reading program files to load into memory
-At the same time the 3rd hard drive is reading/writing page file
And no other reads/writes, no back-and-forth.

Thats oppose to a single drive/single partition:
-OS starts in memory
-Run a program
-Hard drive reads dll/etc files to load into memory
-Then hard drive goes forth and reads program files further down the drive
-Then hard drive goes back to read/write page file at the front of the drive
To me thats a lot of back-and-forth and wear-and-tear.

Another situation would be single drive/multiple partitions:
-The same as above, just files are parted in predetermined areas.
Same amount of back-and-forth and wear-and-tear.

Am I correct? If not please explain. Thanks again.

provoko said:
Two drives. 250gb and 80gb. I plan on having 3 partitions on my 250: windows 10-20gb; games 150-180gb; programs rest 60-70gb. And on my 80gb will just be for filesharing/storage.

Really no reason for this, the only reason to parition is to put your windows drive on it's own drive, so that if windows dies, you wont lose other data on your other parition.

but to make seperate partitions for games and progrmas will give ZERO performance increase if that is what you were hoping.

If it is purely for organization for the fun of it, go to town

then put your pagefile on the 80g drive as well,

P.S - i did not read this entire thread.

provoko said:
Thanks for all the information. I'm learning, but I still don't understand a few things.

Please explain the following quotes further:
and
The third problem is that people assume that the hardware is the bottleneck in this situation. In fact, the software is the bottleneck, because the OS does not see the hardware in terms of physical drives. The OS (Windows) sees only logical drives, and is going to access in the same fashion whether the partitions are on the same disk or are spread out over sixteen different disks. The OS is going to access a single partition the same whether it is on one disk or striped over five disks. If the programs are on a separate drive on the first partition, the chances of the OS finding the program faster are better, but running the program still means running it through the OS ("okay-ing" it, in a manner of speaking). This means starting on one logical drive, checking a whole other logical drive, and then popping back to the original logical drive. If anything, the amount of RAM you have is going to be the bottleneck here, because the amount of data that can be cached in memory is going to lessen the extra overhead caused by having to jump between drives (as opposed to simply running them from the same drive)
Basically, what I am saying is that placing programs and the OS on separate partitions crates OS and hardware overhead in that the OS is what determines which processes are run with which priorities, and the hardware has to keep moving between the two drives. Whether different physical or logical drives doesn't make a difference to Windows, because either way it is still logical drives to the OS. I am saying that you are offering no benefit in a single-user environment, even though a multi-user environment uses this method to minimize the server overhead when a number of users are accessing data or an application on that server at any given time.

provoko said:
So defrag moves data to early sectors; does that mean it's moving data out of the partition? But your response doesn't explain why WickedWeasel is wrong in his reasoning. Please explain.
No, defrag doesn't move them to "early" sectors, it places them in sectors relatively close to one another (within reason and the constraints of the software / file sizes). Defrag cannot move files between partitions, it can only move them inside of a single partition, hence my suggestion keeping the OS and program files in the same partition.

provoko said:
Whats actually happening when the OS is "okay-ing" the data? If the page file is on another drive, it's not paging, so what's this okaying?
Even if you have no visible page file, Windows still pages. In other words, Windows always pages some number of files or processes. There is no way to avoid it (and if you found a way, you would break the OS).

The OS does not "okay" files in the manner you may be thinking. The program doesn't try to run and Windows "okays" or "denies" it, things don't work that way. Instead, when a program is launched, the OS plays the middle-man for the program in translating whatever the program is trying to do for the hardware. The OS handles the priority a process is given, how much CPU time the process is allowed, and (Windows) alerts the user if the program has created an error that the hardware can't mitigate. This is what an operating system is supposed to do, because this is one of the basic functions of what an operating system does.

provoko said:
I thought the process was like this with multiple drives:
-OS starts in memory
-Run a program
-1st hard drive reads dll/etc files to load into memory
-At the same time the 2nd hard drive is reading program files to load into memory
-At the same time the 3rd hard drive is reading/writing page file
And no other reads/writes, no back-and-forth.
Nope, you're missing a whole lot of steps that are unseen and pretty much supposed to be invisible to the end-user of a given operating system.

First, the OS does not handle files and programs by loading them into memory until the memory is full, then pages the rest. That would be incredibly problematic for a multitasking operating system. Instead, the OS constantly monitors the files and processes that are running in memory, swapping out old processes that have not requested CPU time into virtual memory to make sure there is always adequate room for processes that are requesting CPU time. Files that have not been called by processes in a given amount of time are swapped to make space for current files and to ensure room for new files (should they be called). This is a very simplified explanation of how and why the OS can be considered pre-emptive. All modern operating systems do this, whether using a swap file, a page file, and whatever virtual memory subsystem is in place.

After that, you've missed the fact that the OS still has to play interpreter and scheduler for the running processes, and this includes loading and unloading files into memory / virtual memory. Without an operating system handling this task for you, your computer would quickly lock up if a process did not load and unload necessary files itself (and many programs do not, counting on Windows to handle that load). Then you have the different IO necessities between different running processes: some programs require output, which requires certain files to be running in memory to send the correct signals to be interpreted by hardware; other programs have no visual output at all, and simply send the output directly into another running process or to a file for storage or to pipe into some other IO command (ask a game programmer how much IO goes into some simple tasks in a game). A vast majority of these things are handled by the OS, and not all of these things are loaded into memory at the same time at any given moment. Page file or not, things get swapped into virtual memory that resides on (dun Dun DUN) the logical drive the OS resides on.

Your list of processes wouldn't have even covered the steps it took for me to type this text into the reply field.

provoko said:
Thats oppose to a single drive/single partition:
-OS starts in memory
-Run a program
-Hard drive reads dll/etc files to load into memory
-Then hard drive goes forth and reads program files further down the drive
-Then hard drive goes back to read/write page file at the front of the drive
To me thats a lot of back-and-forth and wear-and-tear.
Nope, as I said, all Windows is concerned with are the logical drives. If all of the programs and OS files are on the same logical drive, then that is less that the OS has to keep track of as it does all of the steps I outlined above (and many more). If you split these among multiple drives, all you are accomplishing is having to spin up those other drives more often, putting more mechanical work into the processes that make up normal operations. You would be making the process more complex with the only end result (as far as the OS is concerned) being that the files are laid out in a more complex pattern. This doesn't necessarily mean lower performance, but it certainly does not mean better performance and there has never been a reasonable, repeatable example of it ever showing a noticable increase in performance.

In other words: making things more complex for the sake of making them more complex only results in, surprise surprise, a more complex setup. Performance gains are arguable and in almost every case not repeatable (you get a lot of "it feels faster" placebo claims). Because the operation of a computer involves mechanical processes as well as electronic processes, the best method to apply in single-user situations is the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) method to the layout of parts.

provoko said:
Another situation would be single drive/multiple partitions:
-The same as above, just files are parted in predetermined areas.
Same amount of back-and-forth and wear-and-tear.
No, different partitions on the same disk results in more back-and-forth than even having the partitions on separate disks. It is just that in both scenarios, the OS is unaware (remember: it only sees them as logical drives). A disk with the head moving constantly across the platters also offers no benefits, and adds the extra risk of a hardware failure occurring sooner.

provoko said:
Am I correct? If not please explain. Thanks again.
I hope all of this helps at least a little. In the end, like I pointed out, you can go with whatever advice you want. It's your system. I am just one of the people who prefers to dispel the myth of creating unnecessarily complex configurations for achieving performance, and my experience is based not only on hardware or software experience, but from studying how the software and hardware work together, communicate with each other, and why software is written the way it is today in different types of environments. The most popular "tweaks" I've seen out there for Windows involve single-user environments trying to treat the configuration like a multi-user environment in the hopes of achieving some theoretical performance gain, and this never seems to be based in solid theory. There is always some assumption made about how the hardware or software will react to these tweaked scenarios that is completely foreign to how the software (and hardware) works and was designed to work.

If you are wanting to do it for the 'coolness' factor, then I really can't dispute you on that as your own idea for what is cool might differ from mine (and you have every right to differ). However, if we're talking performance based on how the software and hardware actually works, I'd caution against making too many tweaks based on what others have said if not all considerations for how the OS and hardware work together have been taken into consideration. Please keep in mind that I'm not even covering all of the aspects of how an operating system works with programs and with hardware, because there are whole courses that can be taugh on that subject. What I'm trying to cover is why making a hardware layout overly complex does not offer any performance benefit to a single-user system.

So from what I read, I have two options:

For best performance: Leave my 250gb in one partition for OS, programs, and games including the page file.

For most convenience: Partition my 250gb for each type of file such as the OS, programs and games.

Thats all it comes down to, performance and convenience. Partitions have no benefit other than convenience and may even lower performance and degrade hardware?

BUT you've made the point that keeping it simpler will equal more performance, can that be proven at all? Can one partition with all the files on it show increased performance over a drive that has multiple partitions, won't it still come down to a placebo effect? :D Hehe.

Thanks for all the advice.

Woah there. You are attributing all kinds of things to me that I didn't say.
So from what I read, I have two options:

For best performance: Leave my 250gb in one partition for OS, programs, and games including the page file.

For most convenience: Partition my 250gb for each type of file such as the OS, programs and games.
Actually, I am pretty sure I said earlier that having one disk be used for OS and programs, while the second disk be for your My Docs was the best way to go. Which disk you use for which is entirely up to you. I would assume you want the larger volume to be used for files, while the (relatively) smaller one be used for OS and programs.

Thats all it comes down to, performance and convenience. Partitions have no benefit other than convenience and may even lower performance and degrade hardware?
No, I'm saying it all comes down to simplicity and how the OS works. Convenience only matters in how convenient it is for the OS to operate, and I already pointed out there are no known performance benefits. I have said repeatedly that performance doesn't even realistically factor in.

BUT you've made the point that keeping it simpler will equal more performance, can that be proven at all? Can one partition with all the files on it show increased performance over a drive that has multiple partitions, won't it still come down to a placebo effect?
I never said it will equal more performance. I said that running with a more complex disk structure will not offer a performance benefit.

Anything can be a placebo effect if ignorance is in play. What I am trying to offer is an understanding of how the OS and hardware works. You could completely disregard everything I said, do things like you originally wanted, and claim that you are getting way better performance. You could install things like I suggested and claim that the system is now blazingly fast. You could put everything onto one huge, striped partition and claim that this configuration is the best thing since sliced bread. If you don't care about learning how the OS works and how different things you do impact other parts of the system, then it really doesn't matter and all boils down to just another anecdote being used to reinforce claims of performance increase based on no real applicable knowledge of how operating systems work.

It's your computer, man. Do as you like. However, keep in mind that tweaking for the sake of tweaking, based off the anecdotal experiences of others who simply heard it from others who simply heard it from others, is not really a good habit to get into. You wouldn't do that for the wiring in your home, the mechanics of your car, or even the connections between components of your home theatre. Don't take my word on things, either: grab a few basic books on operating systems and personal computing hardware. Don't take any one person's word for granted.

I'm trying to derive a conclusion from all this information. Something has to come out of this, what is it?

One drive for os/programs, another drive for storage/personal files... is that what it is? Thats what I'm saying. I left out the part with the other drive because it was assumed.

I don't want to do anything that'll lower my performance. From the knowledge you've posted, anyone can derive an action on how they should sort their files. I thought my conclusion was in line with your advice.

Let me try again:

For best performance: Leave my 250gb in one partition for OS, programs, and games including the page file. With 80gb drive for storage/personal files.

From the information you've given, the above is the best performance because of how an OS operates.

Depending on the speed of the drives, I would say use the 80 GB for OS and programs, so that you have more space to store your personal files. That is, of course, unless the 80GB is way older and may be significantly slower than the 250GB.

Personally, I use a 60GB drive for my OS and programs, and a 120GB drive for my personal files. Sometimes I back up my Outlook data to the larger drive, which then gets backed up to a 2k3 Server I have on the network at home. However, my situation is slightly different than yours and you may have other needs I don't know about. However, 80GB seems like more than enough for the initial install and programs, and should even still fall within an acceptable footprint to ghost the OS and important programs before cluttering the install with a bunch of little things that take up space, and burn the image to DVD.

Back