Vista 64 installer won't run... blackscreen. Help?

Z

Zinn

I've tried two different versions of the disc image, a legit one I got from an MS Action Pack subscription download, and a not so legit one that I tried in desperation. In both cases, the installer loads the setup files, shows that same little startup bar Vista does when it's booting up, and then goes to a black screen instead of the GUI installer. Sometimes it goes into the graphical screen and shows the background and the mouse cursor, which you can move around, but I left it there for an hour and the Installer still didn't come up. Arrg.

I'm using an IDE DVD drive, could that be the problem?

I've tried this at stock speeds, to take overclocking out of the equation.

I tried burning discs on a different drive using different media, no avail.

Does anyone know what I could do to get this to Install?

Have you tried unplugging all but necessary devices for the machine to run?

Unplug any USB devices, Extra PCI Cards, etc. and see if you can get it to load.

I see you have 4x1GB sticks in your sig, remove 3 sticks and install vista with 1 gig in slot 1 and it should be a start.

I think it may be an issue with the DVD you burned. When I installed Vista 64 I had the same problem. I burned 2 disks on Vista 32 and neither worked. I burned one on my XP laptop and it worked fine. I know is sounds like a strange idea, but you may want to see if you can burn the disk on an XP machine. It may have been a drive issue for me, but there are some things for me that just still work on XP that won't work on Vista.

I blame the hardware. Try with 1GB of ram, and if you have a chance, try a different DVD burner.

I have tried pulling every piece of non-essential hardware. (Pulled graphics card, wireless card, RAM, one of the hard drives) I tried the SATA DVD drive from my roommate's computer. I've tried burning multiple disc images on multiple PCs. I've tried reverting all BIOS settings to stock. Tried updating the BIOS. I'm completely at a loss as to what the problem could be.

Maybe I got an extremely rare 32 bit Core 2 Duo E6300?

Oh well, maybe I'll try to get a new disc from MS.

Oh geez, great. My 32 bit media is no longer working either. (I had installed on an earlier motherboard and just swapped boards without reinstalling Vista, which worked great by the way)... but God forbid I ever have to reinstall Vista now...

I do have a copy of XP Home though. Arrgh.

Back