Vista/64 bit to Windows 7/HP upgrade?

speedlever

Limp Gawd
I currently own Vista Ultimate. This morning my OS drive (WD Raptor) crashed and will have to be replaced. I already have an RMA for it. While I wait for the new drive to arrive, I'm considering upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium.

There are so many versions that I find it confusing. Since I will have to do a clean install due to the HD crash, is there a cheaper *upgrade* version of W7HP that will let me do a clean install? I really don't care to pay for the W7 Pro or Ultimate versions and don't think I need the extras they offer over HP/64 bit.

Not quite sure how this works.

When I built the current system, I upgraded a Win2k OS to Vista and got the upgrade... but had to do a clean install for the new system. There was a special work-around for the upgrade version, iirc. Is the same true for W7?

I have no choice but to do a clean install as the OS drive died.

My question is, do I have to do some funky work-around to install an upgrade copy of W7 like I had to do with Vista?

Since I have to start over, I thought I'd replace Vista Ultimate 64/bit with W7 Home Premium 64 bit. I ordered it from Newegg today for $105. Hope I got the right one.

If you already own a copy of Vista on the PC, you are entitled to buying the Windows 7 Upgrade disc for a substantial savings. You can do a clean install with the 7 Upgrade media. You can not legally use the Vista key on another machine though since it's still being used (license wise) on the machine you "upgraded".

I suggest Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

If you want a full version, you can grab Windows 7 Home Premium OEM from newegg.com for about the same price as you'd pay for a Upgrade version at big-box-mart.

I ordered what I think is the upgrade version of W7 Home Premium 64 bit for $105 from Newegg. Does that sound like the right price for the upgrade version? (ie, I want to buy the upgrade version. There was an OEM and a retail upgrade version...of which I can't remember the diff... so I got the OEM for $5 less)

Since I have to install clean, I assume the W7 upgrade will let me do so as my copy of Vista Ultimate will not be on the new drive. I had the same scenario 3 years ago when I built a new system and upgraded from W2k to Vista Ultimate 64/bit upgrade... but I had to do some funky stuff during the install to let the Vista upgrade install clean on the new drive.

Will W7 upgrade install clean or do I have to jump through hoops to install it on a fresh drive like I had to do with Vista?

I know I have to retire Vista Ultimate for the upgrade to W7.

I ordered what I think is the upgrade version of W7 Home Premium 64 bit for $105 from Newegg. Does that sound like the right price for the upgrade version? (ie, I want to buy the upgrade version. There was an OEM and a retail upgrade version...of which I can't remember the diff... so I got the OEM for $5 less)

Since I have to install clean, I assume the W7 upgrade will let me do so as my copy of Vista Ultimate will not be on the new drive. I had the same scenario 3 years ago when I built a new system and upgraded from W2k to Vista Ultimate 64/bit upgrade... but I had to do some funky stuff during the install to let the Vista upgrade install clean on the new drive.

Will W7 upgrade install clean or do I have to jump through hoops to install it on a fresh drive like I had to do with Vista?

I know I have to retire Vista Ultimate for the upgrade to W7.
1. Why don't you link exactly what you ordered...

2. If you got the OEM, that is a clean install license, you don't hae to think of it as an upgrade. You can potentially use your old Vista license elsewhere.

3. You can clean install off of the disk you ordered. OEM, Retail, Upgrade, all can do clean installs. Nothing funky.

I just realized that I ordered the system builder version which apparently locks it to a specific mobo.

Looks like I have to return it and get the retail version. I don't want that limitation.

Here's what I ordered.

I think even if you have to reactivate because of a hardware change you can just call up Microsoft, give them an explanation and its takes about 5 minutes. I mean, how many times are you going to realistically change motherboards over the life of Windows 7.

Maybe you will change out a lot, but overall my guess is that the average person, even an enthusiast isn't going swap out motherboards that often.

That is true.. except that this mobo and build is 3 years old. I hope it continues to run for a long while... but, like the HD that died today, ya never know.

So you're saying that an OEM system builder version can still be moved to another system? I didn't know that. Good to know.

Back