vista 32 to W7 64?

Ive been trying to run the setup and stuff on my windows 7 pro dvd that I got for free through my school but it shows this thing about how it cant run it on this system (because its 32bit) and when I change the boot priority in bios to boot from the disc it just shows this loading bar then this screen with some plant (background image) and does nothing for 20 mins then I just gave up... theres no loading sign or disc activity, it just sits there....

I wanna do doing a clean install since I backed up everything a long time ago and its 32 to 64bit but it wont even let me get an option to install... is my only option to do a cmd line reformat then have it boot the disc and install like I did when I installed vista from xp?

Im using Q6700, 8800 ultra and 8 gigs of ram and asus striker extreme

If you boot the DVD and it does nothing for 20 minutes, then that's not good. Try unplugging all unnecessary hardware, including USB stuff. If that doesn't do it, try unplugging all hard drives and all usb devices, and see if the Windows Setup stuff at least loads. Also don't overclock if you are. And if you're comfortable working in the bios, try changing/toggling anything that might have an effect, like AHCI and ACPI, and possibly try updating the bios.

have you tried using someone else's Win7-64 disk and just use your key? Sounds like a bad DVD or faulty hardware.

the only usb stuff I have connected is my mouse and the only overclocking im doing is just underclocking through riva tuner for my 8800 which came pre-overclocked and always caused games to crash after 2 hrs and stuff so I clocked it to the settings that it should be as it said on nvidia site... I updated my bios through usb i think and had some trouble with it not starting up afterwards but used some clear cmos button and reset key and it shows up as the newer version afterwards without the booting problems.... I dont think thats doing anything to effect the boot priority functionality tho... only thing thats getting me is how only option for booting from disc is called "cdrom" and im hoping its just a generalization for dvd and cd...

And I got the w7 disc from some install iso through some sort of download website (not pirated trust me, it would actually work if it was lol) and ive tried 2 different dvd burns and tried booting it from a flash drive but still didnt work.... Also it does boot when I use the dvd but it shows that "loading windows file" or w/e bar then that background image and does nothing after that, as if it loads the files into memory then runs into the same kind of error of not being able to run on 32bit OS...

Also the exact message it says when trying to run the setup file when vistas loaded is "This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's system information. To install a new copy of windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advanced)."

Im going to just reformat and have it just run the dvd on its own after it finds nothing on the hd-drive and if it still wont install ill just reinstall vista again or get some sort of trial for windows7 32bit then upgrade to 64bit...... such a waste of time....

if you are stuck at the blue/plant background with no error, and the mouse still works, let it sit there longer. go get lunch or something, stop looking at it for a while. it gets past it, I've seen this happen on a few quads at work.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
At times (dependent upon circumstances and hardware) the installer can appear to 'hang' and can remain in that state for anything up to hours on end.

If this seems to be happening to you then let it run even overnight if need be, to see if it will eventually complete or continue.

I agree.

I had a similar issue with my P5K Premium board. It took probably around 4 hours to complete the install. Once it was done and the OS actually loaded, it was fine but the install took forever and it took forever to get it started because of the hanging.

No amout of BIOS patching, different drives etc. seemed to resolve the issue. Some weird issue with that board.

The new board that I have now does not have this problem though.

Back