Vista 32/64 bit retail version question

Germz

Limp Gawd
hello guys, i have a question about the 32/64 retail version of Vista. I'm currently using XP and want to get Vista. I'm not certain if i want 32 or 64 bit as i want to try both. I found this item on ebay where the guy claims to have a retail Vista package and claims it is not an upgrade which has both 32 and 64 bit discs which would be perfect for me. Do they actually have retail packages with 32 and 64 bit CDs so the person can use either one? this is the link to the item, any help appreciated:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINDOWS-VISTA-U...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

heres another one, i dont see words upgrade on the box:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-Vista-U...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If it's a retail packaging, I believe they include both 32 and 64/

so i can use either one (just not at the same time, of course) and there are no strings attached, special conditions, etc? Basically i would be using just like any other OEM copy. I 'm hoping the retail will have a some kind of a manual as i'm totally new to Vista.

Ultimate comes with a 32 bit installation DVD and a 64 bit installation DVD in the box, yes. No, you can't activate both editions using the one key, but you can install both at the same time, sure - just don't input the key when requested. That'll give you the 30 day grace period so you can make sure it works with all your hardware.

If you activate it as soon as you install it, and you find out some hardware has a problem with Vista, you're screwed, so don't use the key when you first install Vista, either 32 bit or 64 bit, it doesn't matter. Use that 30 day grace period to make sure it's working 100% - when you're satisfied that it works, that all the hardware is supported, that you're solid, then go activate it and lock it to that machine. Don't activate the OS until that time, and don't even use the key to install it either, there's no reason as when you go to activate the OS finally it'll ask for the key.

Hope this helps...

Ultimate comes with a 32 bit installation DVD and a 64 bit installation DVD in the box, yes. No, you can't activate both editions using the one key, but you can install both at the same time, sure - just don't input the key when requested. That'll give you the 30 day grace period so you can make sure it works with all your hardware.

If you activate it as soon as you install it, and you find out some hardware has a problem with Vista, you're screwed, so don't use the key when you first install Vista, either 32 bit or 64 bit, it doesn't matter. Use that 30 day grace period to make sure it's working 100% - when you're satisfied that it works, that all the hardware is supported, that you're solid, then go activate it and lock it to that machine. Don't activate the OS until that time, and don't even use the key to install it either, there's no reason as when you go to activate the OS finally it'll ask for the key.

Hope this helps...

well, thnx that explains it pretty well. I do have 1 question left. Lets say i install, use for 30 days and then activate the 32 bit version and after another month of use i decide to go 64 bit. Can i just wipe the HDD, reinstall 64 bit, use for 30 days, activate and start using that permenantly, will it let me do that? Basically, am i allowed to switch between 32/64 or once i activate it i'm forced to use either one?

well, thnx that explains it pretty well. I do have 1 question left. Lets say i install, use for 30 days and then activate the 32 bit version and after another month of use i decide to go 64 bit. Can i just wipe the HDD, reinstall 64 bit, use for 30 days, activate and start using that permenantly, will it let me do that? Basically, am i allowed to switch between 32/64 or once i activate it i'm forced to use either one?

I believe so, but I'd just go for 64-bit from the get-go. The only thing that didnt work for me was the program "broadcaster pro" because it uses a screen capture driver. Everything else has worked for me.

There's actually a 90 day grace period, it's just hidden. ;)

you mean a grace period for switching between 32/64? or what?

I believe so, but I'd just go for 64-bit from the get-go. The only thing that didnt work for me was the program "broadcaster pro" because it uses a screen capture driver. Everything else has worked for me.

i want to test out that everything works on 64 bit before i commit to it. i have older programs and games i'm concerned about, i'm actually worried they may not work on Vista at all. but i'll find out soon.

you mean a grace period for switching between 32/64? or what?

i want to test out that everything works on 64 bit before i commit to it. i have older programs and games i'm concerned about, i'm actually worried they may not work on Vista at all. but i'll find out soon.

theres always VM.

A virtual Machine app such as VM ware, Virtual Box, Parallels or Virtual PC. Run XP or whatever os you want inside it.

oh, right, i heard of these. prolly will be no need for that if everything works on Vista well.

The retail version of Vista Ultimate (both the stand alone and upgrade versions) come with 32 bit and 64 bit DVD's. They have one key. You may instal and activate either one but not both at the same time. If you start with 32 bit activated and decide you want to switch to 64 bit, Just repartition and reformat your hard dish and install the 64 bit version. It will activate normally when you are ready. I have done this with the upgrade version of Ultimate. Have not had a single problem installing or activating online.

What bigdogchris was hinting at is the slmgr.vbs -rearm command which, when executed from an Administrator Command Prompt will force the "clock" in Vista to reset back to 0 and give you another 30 days. Usually people will use that method to extend the "grace period" for no good reason other than to run Vista for free *cough*illegitimately*cough*because they downloaded it*wheeze*choke* and then just reinstall it when the timer finally dies.

You can use that command a maximum of 3 times, so that means:

The original 30 days (reset command on the 29th day or so, you can actually find out how much time you have down to the number of minutes left) + another 30 days after 1 reset (so maybe 29 or so) + another 30 days after 2 resets + another 30 days after 3 resets = roughly 120 days absolute max, but probably around 115 days or so unless you reset it with a minute to spare each time to get the absolute max time.

Bleh.

I've installed and activated my retail version of Vista Ultimate a few times already in the past year, in which I've upgraded the hard drives and added more memory. If you wait more than 3 days from when you first install Vista on subsequent fresh installations, you will have to activate by phone, which is still a simple process that will only take several minutes.

The retail version allows unlimited re-installations and transfers, so don't worry too much about activations.

Back