Visiontek/lifetime warranty?

travbrad

[H]ard|Gawd
My Visiontek 3870 died overnight last night (completely dead, monitor blank) so I am thinking about RMAing it since it has a lifetime warranty.

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether they'll deny the RMA because I have removed the heatsink a couple times to apply arctic silver (instead of the generic crap they use). Any idea if this would void my warranty?

P.S. It certainly wasn't caused by removing the HSF, the last time I did that was a few months ago and it's been running cooler than usual (winter + arctic silver). Also, I'm positive it's the video card, because my old X850XT works fine, and my 3870 doesn't work in either of my 2 PCs.

My Visiontek 3870 died overnight last night (completely dead, monitor blank) so I am thinking about RMAing it since it has a lifetime warranty.

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether they'll deny the RMA because I have removed the heatsink a couple times to apply arctic silver (instead of the generic crap they use). Any idea if this would void my warranty?

P.S. It certainly wasn't caused by removing the HSF, the last time I did that was a few months ago and it's been running cooler than usual (winter + arctic silver). Also, I'm positive it's the video card, because my old X850XT works fine, and my 3870 doesn't work in either of my 2 PCs.

It'll be fine, don't worry about it; they won't really tell. I've done it plenty of times, haha.

No way to know without contacting them directly. From experience, most DO void the warranty if your removing the original heatsink for ANY reason.

im pretty sure visiontek doesn't manufacture cards themselves, so they probably wouldn't even notice the difference in thermal materials

im pretty sure visiontek doesn't manufacture cards themselves, so they probably wouldn't even notice the difference in thermal materials

I agree. Unless you did something drastic to it like I did with mine (hacksaw anybody?) they probably won't notice.

Back