Virus Removal Help

rgratto2

2[H]4U
My parents have done it again... they've really messed up their system this time (Windows 7).

Last week, my father mentioned that Microsoft Security essentials didnt have a successful run for a number of days. I remoted in to their machine using logmein and found that the AV service was disabled and couldnt be restarted. I did a full uninstall then reinstall of the AV.

While that was going on, I noticed there was no action center. I had to open it from the start menu, and it turned out he action center service couldnt be started. I popped open services.msc and discovered that the action center service no longer even existed. Joy. I started looking into restoring that while the AV scan was running.

Sure enough, it found some infected files. I had it attempt to fix them and at some point had to reboot. Now, every time the machine starts up, MSE says that there are 2 threats (that never seem to get properly removed) but also windows gives a nasty "windows has encountered a critical error and will close in one minute" message. The 2 threats listed are win32/Sirefef.R and Win32/Sirefef.AH. The machine also reboots in safe mode.

Following ideas from this page, I've tried a couple of things:

1. Running Shutdown -a from the command prompt. This does NOT stop me from getting logged off every 60 seconds..
  2. Running the Kaspersky Resue Disk 10 - I can boot into this utility, but it does NOT mount any hard disks.
  3. Malwarebytes boot cd - I also tried this boot CD, no hard disks either.

I am not sure where to go from here. I dont know why the drives arent mounting, and cant remove the virus through windows. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Can you disable MSE to keep Windows from shutting down, or is it just shutting down right away even with it disabled?

I've had good luck using Trend Micro's online Housecall program as a preliminary sweep to remove viruses - enough to get MSE or the like up and running properly.

Ive always and learned from it to pull teh hdd out scan it on a clean pc then slap it back in and continue with your scans. Ive used Kaspersky Internet Security Suite for yrs now and have always had Good Luck with it. The usual stuff ive used and most common is Malware Bytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, Super Anti Spyware,HiJack This!. Also ive used the KIS boot cd with other boot cd's from Avira ( free) and AVG also free.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=94935

Back