Virus or hardware problem

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's the thing, I opened a suspicious file, like a dumbass, after I formatted, forgetting I hadn't put an AV on it yet...immediate forced reboot...then when it reboots I get BSOD with error code 01E...which windows states is either hardware, (CPU, Motherboard, or Memory)...

I've gone from Vista 64, to Win 7, back to Vista 64 on this machine, which was built in 2008. Is my motherboard going bad, or CPU? I can't run prime because Windows BSOD before I have the chance to due much of anything. My bios are up to date (2009, meh Asus). Before when I was having this problem, I switched to Win 7 and everything was fine except for annoying Validation checks; prior to that I had used Vista 64 for 2.5 years...I did a memory scan a few weeks ago for 24 hours and it came back fine.

I am guessing I should format then run Prime to test for CPU problems and go from there. I doubt I can RMA the motherboard if that is the problem it is probably past its date...

I would start with an infected OS. Does it work in safe mode? I didn't see you mention that. If so, try a system restore back to when the install was complete.

Safemode has BSOD too, although I did have enough time to disable automatic restarting, and get the code...I formatted and it is working now but I want to rule out a bad motherboard...(one of the 5.1 channels has been gone for like two years so I know the motherboard has...issues)

create a bootable disk with some antivirus on it and do that.

if you opened a malicious file why would you think a dieing system board now?
obviously the first suspect would be a virus you launched.

Back