VirtuMVP works!

agentdomo

Limp Gawd
At first I was skeptical but it seems VirtuMVP really improved my 3DMark 11 score! 3770k with a GTX 680 on a ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo!

Here is my score before VirtuMVP
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3718126
(Clock speed is actually 3.7GHz I have no clue why it doesn't show that...)

After
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3718175

It seems to have minorly hurt the CPU's Physics score but my overall score went up!

It works but it doesn't support all games.

Nice results on the games or benchmarks that it supports.

Benchmarks are worthless in virtu. The concept behind it has nothing to do with raw performance either. You don't determine if it's working by benchmarking.

Oh thanks guys, I'll do some benchmarks with some DX10 and DX11 games to verify.

Again, benchmarks are meaningless with virtu (weather it's a real game or a static benchmark). Do you even know what it's suppose to do?

Getting higher scores with MVP on isn't really an indication of getting higher performance. It's an indication of dropping frames that the Lucid technology thinks it won't need to display.

Theoretically leads to smoother gameplay when it works, but you're not really getting more fps. It's a bit of an illusion because your fps measurements are including all the incomplete frames that get dropped as well. So basically the FPS meter is lying whenever hyperformance is in use.

What I personally found was that on games that I couldn't already maintain 60 fps, I actually lost performance using Lucid MVP.

It does indeed work. But it started crashing my BF3 consistently (the game thought I was running out of video RAM), so stability definitely overrules minor performance gains in my book.

It's a great concept but it's not fully realized yet.

It works but it doesn't support all games.

Nice results on the games or benchmarks that it supports.

I'm not so sure...

The performance that it adds is generally past the 60FPS range and when it's under 60FPS there's actually a performance degradation rather than an increase in FPS.

image004.png

image006.png

image010.png

batman-2.png

battlefield-2.png

4651_24_lucid_virtu_mvp_hyperformance_tested_with_asrock_z77_and_intel_ivy_bridge.png

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4..._asrock_z77_and_intel_ivy_bridge/index11.html

Lucid Virtu MVP while being an exciting technology is not one without its flaws at the moment. We are finding that the cons are outweighing the pros at the moment and let me cover them. The thing we love is the added performance, some of the gains you see are simply amazing considering nothing is being overclocked. To see gains of 50% at a click of a button or two is really quite amazing.

Let's cover the issues we have with the technology in this early stage of Virtu MVP's life. The first is that when we really need the extra FPS in certain areas, not only do we not see it, but we're seeing a negative impact in performance in some cases. As always we aim for that 60 FPS mark and under Mafia II for example, we see our 74 FPS average move to 101 FPS at 1680 x 1050. This is great, but I'd say we're already at a playable level with a strong 14 FPS over that 60 FPS average being seen. At 2560 x 1600, though, we move from 47 FPS, a number we consider unplayable, to 37 FPS, not only still an unplayable number, but a lower number! It's not just Mafia II either; in our small sample pool here you can see that when we need the extra FPS in important areas, we don't get it.

Another issue is that I've never had to reboot my system more times for testing than I have in the two days it took to test this. It's reminiscent a bit like in the early days of SLI and CrossFire and their profiles. It just feels like it's not all there yet.

The other thing is during Metro 2033 when we ran our benchmark we got weird graphics corruption that was only seen when HyperFormance was set to on. You can see it below.

When we first had a chance to look at the technology we were shown the Street Fighter IV benchmark. Not only is it a little old, but it's not very taxing on your system. I remember walking out and turning to Cameron saying, "that's great, but what about a game which actually needs the extra FPS". When moving from 250 FPS to 350 FPS, while sounding impressive, is ultimately useless and a waste of time, as to begin with, the game was already perfectly playable.

I'm still not sure what the hell the advantages are. Frankly, it seems like it's something to avoid rather than enable.

When I first read about Virtual Vsync and HyperFormance I thought they were cool concepts, but then I read about the bugs and how long profiles are taking to come out, and also saw how ugly the UI of their software is (indicates poor quality IMO) and decided to not even bother right now.

As people have said above, I don't think VirtuMVP offers any significant real life performance boost in most cases outside of benchmarks. Plus the scores aren't really comparable.

Are these results limited by early drivers or is it physical? I would really like to see if VirtuMVP can be used in next gen games to provide better performance ~ then I can sell one of my GTX 680s and get my $500 back! It seems to me 3DMark11 is made to have better support for VirtuMVP (there is a VirtuMVP section on the results page) and that's why it improved my score so much.

I really wanted this when I heard about it but I get nothing but crashing and black screens on most of my games with it.

Besides adaptive vsync + 58FPS frame limiting works well enough

Virtu Is amazing, I dont even have a GPU I soley use Virtu and I get 100fps in every game ever made....
But yeah It looks like a meh implementation so far. If it improves I might be interested but until then I will go with buying the best card available at the time.

I'm still not sure what the hell the advantages are. Frankly, it seems like it's something to avoid rather than enable.

Brings back terrible memories from the DOS days of DiskDoubler or DoubleStack or whatever it was called. It had similar claims where you were left wondering if it was a benefit or hassel. "Double your HD space but item stored may take up 1.5x to 2.0x the size and need to be compressed/recompressed which will be done on the fly!". Great if you were desperate on hard drive space but ultimately a small performance drop and the question of if you gain any size at all.

I sort of feel bad for Lucid, they obviously have great minds at work trying to create innovative products, but are being shut out by AMD and Nvidia due to the fact that its not their proprietary technology. I think ultimately for Lucid's products to really take off, Intel needs to buy Lucid and throw some money into R&D and resolve the issues Lucid has.

It's a pile of shit. An interesting concept marred by bullshit exectution and support.

It's a pile of shit. An interesting concept marred by bullshit exectution and support.

Agreed.
The extra FPS are usually done just by reshowing the previous frame but with very minor update (like just changing the FPS count). So in reality, frames are being double counted. Take out these double counted frames and you will likely see reduced FPS.

I was just researching this since I picked up a z77+3570k setup last week and wanted to play around with it but, from what I'm reading, I'm better off just leaving my setup as is...

148923clickbiosii201206.png

...which is a cfx 6870 setup?

Last edited:
I really wanted this when I heard about it but I get nothing but crashing and black screens on most of my games with it.

Besides adaptive vsync + 58FPS frame limiting works well enough

same here, i tried using it, but half of the games either have black screen or crash.

is yours connected to video card or motherboard?

It works in a few games I have, but on the ones that do work, its amazing. Skyrim and Starcraft 2 have the best results.

SC2 lets me maintain a smooth +60fps while streaming 1080p@30fps, Fast settings, quality 10, 3800bitrate

I just installed a new gtx680 on a Gigabyte UD5 motherboard. 16gb memory. SSD HD, and a BenQ XL20t 120mhz monitor. I couldnt wait for this GPU to setup virtu mvp. I am also running a gt520 dedicated to PhysX. I have multiple games installed on PC Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim V, Crysis 2, Batman AC, Assassins Creed: Revelation, Kingdom of Amalur, Portal 2, DarkSouls PTD, Galaxy on Fire 2. Now for a time while I was waiting for my GTX680 to come I had my GT520 as my main GPU. While in this setup I was running Lucid and it was really helping and making games look better but as when I installe the gtx680 I ran into all kinds of problems. Games would not load or start up like crysis2, DS2, and ME3. AC Rev would start but there were all kind of video anomolies with in the game. The one game that worked well with Lucid was GOF2. Now I just cranked up the settings within the games and used Nvidia Control Panel to tweak the games (like we all use to do) and I must say that games looked beautiful especially AC: Rev so from what I see is that if you are running a high end gpu Lucid MVP is not necessary but if you are running lower GPUs Lucid can be a very good tool to up the look in your games.

i use it to kill screen tearing :confused: i researched it for quite awhile, but my only conclusion was that i don't really give a shit.

It worked well for me on benchmarks and games for 3 days before it crapped out and stopped working.

Single HD7950 rocking with i5-3570k and MSI MPower Z77.

Same experience for me, worked for a whole 2 days before games wouldn't start any more. Useless software, great thought but poor execution. Not to mention tearing was AWFUL in every mode.

I just want to clarify from my last post. When I said I cranked up the settings within the games and used Nvidia Control Panel to tweak them at this point I had uninstalled Lucid MVP.:D So Like I said I saw that I didnt really need the Lucid MVP with a GTX680 installed. Assassins Creed looks beautiful and plays so smooth because it takes advantage of the 120hz monitor. Crysis2 and Skyrim V also looked better. The rest of my games run better but no real big difference in the look of the game. I use to have a GTX580 before this.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120mz
SSD: 480bg SanDisk - C:
HD: 500gb Velociraptor - D:
CPU: Intel 3770k 3.5 running at 4.0ghz
Memory: Corsair 16gb

3dm scores with lucid are not allowed on HWbot.
It just drops frames.

They are allowed to be posted but should have an indication in the score to show so. Also 3dMark benchmarks usually will detect it right away so any 3dmark benchmark scores with URL will also state so.

A response from HWbot on Virtu MVP technology.
LucidLogix Virtu MVP is an exciting new technology that promises to boost your PC's responsiveness, reduce latency and eliminate visual tearing, all within a low power environment. It is designed for the Intel Sandy Bridge Z68/H67/H61, upcoming Intel 7-series motherboards as well as many AMD processor-based notebooks, all-in-one PCs and desktop motherboards, and will be shipping pre-installed on a wide range of new motherboards starting in April 2012.

3DMark works by measuring the process of rendering frames of 3D graphics using defined workloads. Lucid's Virtu MVP is designed to improve responsiveness through the intelligent reduction of rendering tasks. While 3Mark scores may increase with Virtu MVP enabled, scores from systems with and without Virtu MVP are not directly comparable because of its effect on the rendering process.

We are working with Lucid to update 3dmark.com to clearly indicate whether Virtu MVP was running or not for each submitted score and to help you understand the performance benefits of Virtu MVP technologies as measured by 3DMark and our other PC performance benchmarks. The update is expected to be ready in April. Until then, we recommend that you manually add MVP information to the name and/or description of your 3DMark scores to help other users better understand your setup.

I noticed better repsonse and smoother game play when MVP worked in my system. I like it.

As far as benchmarks go I think it should be allowed because truth in over clocking and bench marking is knowing how to set up system BIOS settings and OS, graphic settings to get the highest score. I don't care if MVP is enabled. The performance is there. Just sucks it isn't stable.

Super confused about this whole Virtu MVP thing...

Installed it earlier today to try and squeeze some performance out of my HD 4890 and Intel HD 4000...

Ran 2 separate benchmarks in uniengine (heaven) with all settings cranked and...

With MVP off I was getting:

FPS: 22.4
Scores: 564
Min FPS: 9.0
Max FPS: 30.3

With MVP on I was getting:

FPS: 27.1
Scores: 684
Min FPS: 8.5
Max FPS: 46.6

Now that I've heard benchmarking isn't that accurate for MVP (because it generates a completely alternate score), I'm not sure if it's helping or not.

Am I just supposed to rely on my feeble human senses to notice a performance difference when it's enabled/disabled? Blindly trust that it's working? Uninstall it?

:confused:

Back