Virtualized APP

Mackintire

2[H]4U
Someone please explain to me the benefits of app virtualization.

I recently discovered that we are paying $1500 for 12 cals for Zen 6.0.

How is this cost effectively justified? Unless each apt costs more than say $800 per user, this doesn 't make sense to me.

That seems really expensive. Is it 12 concurrent users?

With vmware thinapp you can get cals for as cheap as $20/user, making app virtualization very practical.

If its XenApp then we are talking remote content / app delivery using Remote Desktop Services + the Citrix layer on top. You need both a RDP Cal and a XenApp Cal and it does get very very expensive.

And it depends on the license level of XenApp. The high tiers give you a LOT.

And you don't save on licensing with Citrix. If an app is $1K/license and you deliver it to 10 users via XenApp you still pay 10 x $1K.

Yes I think most people have the advanced license for load balancing the farm.

We are getting rid of our citrix environment as part of our vmware view implementation. Citrix licensing is horridly expensive nowadays and view essentially eliminates the need for a lesser cost. I'm hoping that AppBlast comes to market soon to make up the difference in application only delivery.

$250/user (not including windows licenses) for full meal deal VMware vs $600/user (not including TS licenses) for full meal deal Citrix is a no brainer to me.

Back