Virtualization Setup

mejohnm

Weaksauce
Heya all,

I have been running VMs under Hyper-V using direct attached storage. The same machine is also running my DC, DNS, and file shares for the family. I have an ATOM which is barely being used and like to get that setup as a NAS if the hardware is good enough to do what I want.The following is what I would like to do by using my current hardware to reach my goal.

• 1. Venture into ESXi.
  • 2. Get a dedicated NAS built for file sharing and VM's (if possible for both Hyper-V and ESXi.

The Hyper-V system is running Server 2012.
2x AMD 4256EE.
98GB RAM ECC
ARECA ARC-1680
4X 3GB WD Reds (RAID 5) Family File Shares
4x Crucial 250MX (RAID 10) VMs
2x 840 EVO 500GB VMs

Pure Hyper-V System
Supermicro A1SRi-2558F
32GB RAM ECC
Crucial 250MX VMs

I would like to get more drives to extend my storage and use the existing Reds as a secondary backup. Primary backup is off-site. I am really interested in FreeNAS and hope I can convert the Atom machine into the dedicated NAS that can serve both the file shares and the VMs. This way I can turn off the AMD machine when not needed.

I also thought of making another system for either ESXi or for the dedicated NAS.

How should I go about this?

ESXi license becomes paid after 32gb/cpu, something you might want to consider.

Then I would learn on a 32GB machine. Or maybe just go for this VMUG EvalExperience and really get my feet wet.

That's right - RAM is no longer limited in free ESXi - although ESXi runs well only on limited set of hardware (for sure much more limited than Win/Hyper-V) - so you can review first if your hardware is suitable - there is official HCL list and also pages listing 'whitebox' hardware.

What I like to do is use the Supermicro A1SRi-2558Fas the storage system for VMs. I am currently looking at FreeNAS or even Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 for that duty. I may well just build the ESXi machine from scratch as my Opteron system is pretty much used for my SharePoint developments. I have always been interested in VMWare and since our company is getting into K2, I can learn from K2 VM but it is in ESXi format. So why not just tackle both at the same time.

Back