• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Virtual Reality Is Here!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Once I saw this article about a virtual reality helmet that recreates the sights, smells, sounds, etc. etc. etc., I was sold. This is so not like all the other VR helmets…this one is the future!!! Ouch, I damn near sprained my sarcastic bone on that one.

Armchair travellers wearing the device will be able to hear the roar of lions on safari, smell the flowers of an Alpine meadow or feel the heat of the Caribbean sun on their face - all from the comfort of their sitting room.
 
Smell and taste are two things I don't want to have artificially recreated...
and a 'smell tube' which releases chemicals under the nose to mimic real life odours.
Ugh, I can only imagine how nasty that would be.
 
I don't even want to know how they get "TASTE" in that thing. Ugh!

Haha, I'm quite sure it involves simulation in nerves or brain cells rather than having to put something in your mouth and get sprayed with chemicals mixed to replicate the flavor of the virtual items you're eating.

Think of it as dreams you have at nights. You can feel, taste, smell, see, hear in your dreams, but they in no way imply to your real physical body.

Personally I long for Virtual Reality. Some people might find me odd, but there's nothing like flying in your dreams. To be able to be awake and actually "fly" would be bliss.
 
other than sweet, salty, sour, bitter, most "taste" is actually smell. and i remember reading a year or 2 ago of a device that with the provided chemicals claimed it could simulate pretty much all odors. integrate that in a virtual reality helmet and....well, you have this thing.
 
sold! anyone ever watch .hack?

aside from the whole coma storyline I would love to see virtual fantasy worlds created with use of these. How awesome would it be to traverse fantasy terrain and really experience it?
 
it looks like that dude in the picture is eating a gigantic metallic slice of watermelon...

cool stuff, but the real VR of the future, as Azhar alluded to, is actual brain stimulation. No need for fancy helmets, just close your eyes while I place this electrode array on your head...think 'the matrix'
 
Smell and taste are two things I don't want to have artificially recreated...

Ugh, I can only imagine how nasty that would be.

Yeah, heaven forbid we have to smell a artificial fart vs. the real deal LOL! :p
 
Haha, I'm quite sure it involves simulation in nerves or brain cells rather than having to put something in your mouth and get sprayed with chemicals mixed to replicate the flavor of the virtual items you're eating.

Think of it as dreams you have at nights. You can feel, taste, smell, see, hear in your dreams, but they in no way imply to your real physical body.

Personally I long for Virtual Reality. Some people might find me odd, but there's nothing like flying in your dreams. To be able to be awake and actually "fly" would be bliss.

Actually, if you read the article, it says there is a device that squirts tastes into the users mouth. This is just a PR stunt to get additional VC, nothing more.
 
Smell and taste are two things I don't want to have artificially recreated...

Ugh, I can only imagine how nasty that would be.

Yeah, who the fuck wants to smell zombie or dead and dessicated alien bits? Not me.
 
Actually, if you read the article, it says there is a device that squirts tastes into the users mouth. This is just a PR stunt to get additional VC, nothing more.

I can't see how this would possible work. You can only make so many artificial flavors in a device without having a factory or chemistry lab in the next room mixing up solutions. They should research into brain simulations. Your brain already has all the flavor it needs.
 
it looks like that dude in the picture is eating a gigantic metallic slice of watermelon...

cool stuff, but the real VR of the future, as Azhar alluded to, is actual brain stimulation. No need for fancy helmets, just close your eyes while I place this electrode array on your head...think 'the matrix'

hehe that statement just made me lol..don't know why. ;)
 
I can't see how this would possible work. You can only make so many artificial flavors in a device without having a factory or chemistry lab in the next room mixing up solutions. They should research into brain simulations. Your brain already has all the flavor it needs.

mmmm brain flavors. But, yeah squirting flavors into your mouth does not seem practical.
 
This would add a whole new dimension of funk to Paris Hilton videos... LOL
 
sold! anyone ever watch .hack?

aside from the whole coma storyline I would love to see virtual fantasy worlds created with use of these. How awesome would it be to traverse fantasy terrain and really experience it?

I am also quite a big fan of the .hack series. I can't imagine what an MMO would be like with the ability to be truly immersed into the atmosphere.

The only real draw back (and I didn't read the specs on this thing so I may be wrong) is that it may not take your own movements, speech, etc and animate them into the character you are controlling. Leaving it one step behind .hack, and not to mention how freaking large the damn thing is.
 
So I'm not the only Pwisted Tuppy to think that it would give PRON a whole new dimension...:eek:
 
I just have to point out:
If it's squirting chemicals in your nose and mouth and blowing hot/cold air at you.....

IT'S NOT VIRTUAL!!!!!
 
cool stuff, but the real VR of the future, as Azhar alluded to, is actual brain stimulation. No need for fancy helmets, just close your eyes while I place this electrode array on your head...think 'the matrix'

I honestly hope I do not live to see the day when that happens. Imagine being faced with that choice: either you live in the real world where everything sucks, or you live your dream life but with the unnerving knowledge that none of it is real.
 
Of course, eventually we'll get to the point where VR machines can make you think what you're experiencing is real. That would be an even tougher decision. Would you really want to give up your sentience, awareness, and conciousness for a life of absolute bliss?
 
Somehow I don't think Dirty Jobs will be around for long if these helms really worked like that. :)

Will my head melt if I watch The Arc being opened in Indiana Jones?

What if I watch a show about spitting cobras or skunks?
 
I am also quite a big fan of the .hack series. I can't imagine what an MMO would be like with the ability to be truly immersed into the atmosphere.

The only real draw back (and I didn't read the specs on this thing so I may be wrong) is that it may not take your own movements, speech, etc and animate them into the character you are controlling. Leaving it one step behind .hack, and not to mention how freaking large the damn thing is.

speech is actually easy, include a microphone, there are already (expensive right now) programs that will assist in translating speech to mouth movements.

movement is a matter of time too, if this shit actually ends up working i wouldn't be suprised to see at least gloves for hand movements.

in game terms probably the short term would see helmet and gloves, though still leaving you using some form of walk and jump buttons, at least you could do hand/arm motions in real time.
 
80% of taste comes from smell, and the other 20 is from your tongue perceives things.
 
I hope it's lighter than it looks,or includes free visits to a chiropractor! Give me a good holodeck any day.:D
 
The smell & tasting thing would be a turn off in a lot of games because like was said, a lot of them deal with death destruction etc. Do you really want to smell what a battlefield full of rotting corpses & gunpowder smell like, or smell a soiled orc from WOW. How about games like Oblivion where you can eat 90% of the foliage for alchemical purposes...will flowers taste accurately? what would ghost ectoplasm taste like? LMAO.
 
The smell & tasting thing would be a turn off in a lot of games because like was said, a lot of them deal with death destruction etc. Do you really want to smell what a battlefield full of rotting corpses & gunpowder smell like, or smell a soiled orc from WOW. How about games like Oblivion where you can eat 90% of the foliage for alchemical purposes...will flowers taste accurately? what would ghost ectoplasm taste like? LMAO.

Or when you do one of the few poop quests in WoW. I love the game, but Jesus, what's with the dev's fascination with poop?
 
I just have to point out:
If it's squirting chemicals in your nose and mouth and blowing hot/cold air at you.....

IT'S NOT VIRTUAL!!!!!

haha im glad im not the only person that noticed this

its more of an emulator than a simulation

that being said, i agree that all this stuff is silly, when they can actually have some sort of helmet that directly connects you to a PC there will be no real "virtual reality" with toys like these... you cant simulate G-Force with it, you cant simulate touch, etc etc
 
This is the gaming accessory everybody's been crying out for, as in "I've always felt something was missing from the experience when I get teabagged in my favorite FPS..."
 
Back
Top