Virtual Printer Device/Box?

BuGaLoU

[H]ard|Gawd
Heres what I got:

A security door that logs all opens and closes (via access code) to a parallel printer. Very very simple setup. What I would like to do is hook up some sort of a virtual printer to the door instead of the real printer. Something that would just save the text to a file on flash memory or hard drive instead of wasting paper. Then it can either be interogated locally via serial cable, or even better would be a network interface for it.

Does such a device exist? If not, is thier software out there I could put on a PC that would do the same thing?

I believe Windows has had the built-in ability to spool plain-text print jobs to a file since Windows 3.x. XP still has it. The specific steps depend on the specific version.

windows has a virtual printer and so does adobe acrobat professional.

I'm not looking for a virtual software printer. The output from the door system hooks directly to a printer. Every time it opens or closes it prints the access code used to the printer. I'm hoping to replace the printer with a device that can store the data in a digital format.

I'm not looking for a virtual software printer. The output from the door system hooks directly to a printer. Every time it opens or closes it prints the access code used to the printer. I'm hoping to replace the printer with a device that can store the data in a digital format.
The point is that, if you are using Windows, you do not need any external device to do what you want. Everything you need is built into Windows.

Back