Virtual PC 2007 - Mouse forward/back buttons?

rgratto2

2[H]4U
I installed XP in a VM on my machine, but dont have the forward and back buttons working for my mouse. I googled around a little but did not find a solution that worked. Has anyone tackled this issue?

Although I have used VirtualPC, it's been a while. I seem to recall it also having issues correctly interpreting the scroll wheel function on my mouse.

Virtual PC has troubles with any usb device that requires drivers. Aside from standard KB/M inputs or usb flash drives you are mostly out of luck.
It pretty much does not pass the input of extra buttons on mice and keyboards from the host system. It passes the standard three and the wheel, and standard keyboard keys. Things like volume control on a keyboard or extra mouse buttons don't work correctly if at all in VPC 2007 in my experience.

VirtualBox does allow you to plug usb devices into the virtual machine, and install drivers for printers and mice with more than the standard buttons. It can be a pain about it at times though.

Locally, you won't gain it.

Try RDP?

Via RDP in VS2005, you should have these buttons/functions.

true, terminal services does pass these driver calls from the remote machine to the target. I would have to second RDP, even for local VMs running on the host, if you are not getting the functionality you need.

I did not ever think of remoting in. Will have to try that.

It's what I do with mine, I notice sometimes if I just use the VM client, when I RDP into the server, sometimes my mouse pointer is black, and on black backgrounds....:eek:

So you have the VM running on your machine and then you Remote into it? Doesnt that have... 2 windows open with the same machine?

not if you minimize the virtualization application, it doesn't. Would you really want to fight over cursor control...with yourself? ;)

So you have the VM running on your machine and then you Remote into it? Doesnt that have... 2 windows open with the same machine?

If you RDP into the VM, you will not be able to see what you are doing anyways. XP will lock you out and boot you to the log in screen. XP only supports 1 RDP session.

not if you minimize the virtualization application, it doesn't. Would you really want to fight over cursor control...with yourself? ;)

Some apps, you don't even have to have a window open. I know with VS2005 and hyper-v, you don't know they are running unless you go looking for it.

Back