Virtual Memory/Ram Setup Windows 7/10?

imre

Limp Gawd
Hi, is it necessary to setup Virtual Ram / Memory in windows 7 or 10 for mining?
Also what is the story with locked memory pages in the local security policies and is this also necessary?

I tried to create 16 GB swap file and also i allowed my logged in user have access to memory pages.
I dont see the big deal, or is there?

Is physical memory still not better in the end rather than virtual, or not really?

Like if you have 4 8 or 16 GB ? differences and stuff ?

Not if your mining with your graphics card. The system Ram hardly matters then. I have 4 or 8gb system RAM in all my rigs. Ive never adjusted the virtual memory or anything else you've refereed to.

Flip man all your rigs ,m like how many to you have how did u afford it all.
Please teach me and give the blue pill man.

I built small rigs out of wood with only two graphics cards in them. They mine at 50mhs each about. I do it that way because then I can place them in certain parts of the house and not have a problem with too much heat in one room. I dont have a dedicated mining room so I do it that way. And because I only run two cards per rig I can use old tech that I have lying around. Like cheap 600w watt psu and ancient motherboards that only have two or three PCIe slots.

Attachments

• File_000 (10).jpeg
    File_000 (10).jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 151
it seems like you ae confusing a lot of stuff

its not a choice of physical vs virtual memory. Your software can ONLY use virtual memory in windows.
virutal memory is purely conceptional. its a layer betwwen you physical memory and page file.
All you programs ask for a bit of memory which is virtuel memory. windows then deice which pages of these are mapped to physical RAM or to the page file.
That way memory arasa that are not used much can be mapped to the pagefile to free up physical ram to be used on memory areas that are contains data that are used alot.
this way you physical RAM works kinda like a cache over all your memory consumption. and gains a higher efficiency.

in 99.9% of times does not mess with it.
- Do NOT disable pagefile
- Do NOT use ram cleaners

I would like to also add that if you're mining with more than 2 GPUs, it does require an increase in virtual memory for best performance. For a 6 GPU rig, you need to increase virtual memory to 16GB minimum, it will save you headaches. The other option is to mine with linux, but I would not suggest it for AMD cards as hashrates are a bit lower. Nvidia cards on the other hand, I really like linux builds specifically designed for mining

I would like to also add that if you're mining with more than 2 GPUs, it does require an increase in virtual memory for best performance. For a 6 GPU rig, you need to increase virtual memory to 16GB minimum, it will save you headaches. The other option is to mine with linux, but I would not suggest it for AMD cards as hashrates are a bit lower. Nvidia cards on the other hand, I really like linux builds specifically designed for mining

For a RIG with 2 RX470s 4GB and 8GB then what ?
"Geekabox" reckons dont mess with Virtual Ram.... so maybe thats very valid ?

For a RIG with 2 RX470s 4GB and 8GB then what ?
"Geekabox" reckons dont mess with Virtual Ram.... so maybe thats very valid ?

That's 3 GPUs, I would increase your virtual memory to a custom size, even if it's not 16GB. I have no testing to refer to, but on paper if you're using 3 GPUs, set to at least 8GB virtual mem?

As far as not messing with virtual memory, I don't know what miner you're using. But with claymore, it specifies it as a requirement for stable operation... so yes, do give your computer more memory if the miner requires it for multi-gpu

I have 2 Graphics cards, not sure what you mean by 3
I have powercolor 4gb rx470 and saphire nitro 8gb rx470.
thats it
Set swap file size to what is MIN and what is MAX...
give me your suggestion
MIN ______ MAX _____

I'd say if you're not having any issues, and it is mining stable, you probably don't need to touch anything. It isn't going to make you mine any faster.

I never messed with that when mining in Windows. I was mining with 2-3 cards with no issues. When I was running 5-6 cards under Windows, I always had driver issues, but I never did try increasing virtual memory, so maybe that becomes more important as you increase the # of cards. I really doubt it is impacting anything at the 2-3 card level.

Back