Virtual machines

rudy

[H]F Junkie
Can you run your current license of windows in a VM, IE I want run a windows 10 vm inside windows 10 without paying for anything.

Your Windows Licence is only able to be run on one machine at a time. Technically if it's an OEM licence it's only able to be run on one machine period, even if you delete the OS off the machine the licence was originally registered to it's still locked to that machine.

You can rearm the Windows 10 vm a few times to give you 90 days without activating. But then you'll have to do something. If its just for testing, I would go that route. I blow away my test VMs on my home rig regularly so I never get stuck in reduced functionality mode.

There's always the trial version of Windows 10 Enterprise as well, that way you're "legit" for the most part, same basic OS overall.

If you want to keep the virtual machine up and running, you will need to get a license. You may be able to find a Win 7 or 8 license for cheaper and do the free upgrade.

However if it's just to test something, do a fresh install and do the test within the 30+ day grace period. I do this for trial software or other things I do not want tainting my main installation of Windows.

There are some rippers I use every once in a while that have trial periods. I just do a fresh install of Windows, install the trial, rip what I need and then erase everything. If I need to do again a year later, repeat the process.

Your Windows Licence is only able to be run on one machine at a time. Technically if it's an OEM licence it's only able to be run on one machine period, even if you delete the OS off the machine the licence was originally registered to it's still locked to that machine.
IIRC they relaxed the OEM requirements to cover one computer at a time instead of being locked to one hardware forever.

IIRC they relaxed the OEM requirements to cover one computer at a time instead of being locked to one hardware forever.

So what's the point of paying extra for the retail version?

You sure Microsoft aren't just being slack in enforcing OEM licensing requirements? That's typically what's happened in the past.

So what's the point of paying extra for the retail version?

You sure Microsoft aren't just being slack in enforcing OEM licensing requirements? That's typically what's happened in the past.
I recall reading an article about relaxing OEM rules so that private persons could also obtain them now and not being hardware restricted in other ways than making sure it ran only on one computer at a time.

Maybe I remember wrong.

Back