Virtual Learning Environment for Networking?

AliceCooper

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know a good free software to learn the ins and outs of networking. I am currently studying for my CCNA and wish to play around with a virtual environment since I do not have the physical equipment to do so with. I also plan on getting my VMware cert later on so any and all lab type resources will help. I have a bunch of books and study materials at my disposal so that is covered.

Also I was told VMware is free, but I can only find software that costs money. I want to experiment with it on my server that I am planning to setup. So a link to a download would be very helpful. Thanks!:D

GNS3 is a good network simulator, I am using it a lot in my CCNP studies.

Thanks a lot guys :D. Just got my server all put together today so it's time to play.

GNS3 is a pretty straight forward tool to get a virtual networking equipment running. Ya can even bridge a nic to them to connect to physical boxes. You do need the right images if you want to do all CCNP stuff.

GNS3 is a pretty straight forward tool to get a virtual networking equipment running. Ya can even bridge a nic to them to connect to physical boxes. You do need the right images if you want to do all CCNP stuff.

I'm not going for my CCNP quite yet, just my CCNA, VMware, and MCSE certs. If that plus my Bachelors doesn't land me a job then I'll start studying for my CCNP.

You can easily "acquire" IOS images, just gotta look in the right places ;)

Also, Microsoft Technet is a great resource, just renewed my sub yesterday!

Also, correct me if I am wrong but I believe MCTS replaced MCSE.

I just got my MCTS 70-640 and 70-642 a few months ago, just need to get 70-680 to get my MCITP!!!

You can easily "acquire" IOS images, just gotta look in the right places ;)

Also, Microsoft Technet is a great resource, just renewed my sub yesterday!

I just got my MCTS 70-640 and 70-642 a few months ago, just need to get 70-680 to get my MCITP!!!

Yeah I need to find those IOS images.

Also MCTS did not replace the MCSE. It is still on their website and everything.

Only one more year and I have my Bachelors in Network Administration, and by that time I should have at least the CCNA and VMware certs.

MCTS is 2008 edition of the 2003 MCP, which is just a certification saying you passed a Microsoft Exam.

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator is the 2008 of MCSE in 2003.

Check out the Cisco Packet Tracer.

It's a free download if you are part of the Cisco Networking Academy, and you should be able to find mirrors to it on some other sites if you are not.

Check out the Cisco Packet Tracer.

It's a free download if you are part of the Cisco Networking Academy, and you should be able to find mirrors to it on some other sites if you are not.

I actually use packet tracer when I don't feel like booting up my hardware. But since I am now starting to work on frame relay, etc.. the hardware is now starting to show itself again.

Was going to second Packet Tracer.
Only for academy students, but if its part of your degree, your entitled to get a copy.

Otherwise, i used GNS3 for ccnp plus real switches for switch.
Less hassle with noise and cabling.

The Vmware cert need you to sit their authorised classes before exam btw.

Did you want vmware to run client computers?

Was going to second Packet Tracer.
Only for academy students, but if its part of your degree, your entitled to get a copy.

Otherwise, i used GNS3 for ccnp plus real switches for switch.
Less hassle with noise and cabling.

The Vmware cert need you to sit their authorised classes before exam btw.

Did you want vmware to run client computers?

I was just wanting it to play with. And yes I knew I would sit in one of their classes. I am going to do the online ones hopefully so I don't have to go out of town for a week.

That is the only reason that I haven't gotten my VCP yet, I have managed large production clusters and consider myself pretty experienced with ESXi. I think its asinine that VMware wants you to pay so much money for a 5-day class. You aren't going to learn s*** in 5 days

Back