Virtual KVM software?

Matrox462

Gawd
Is there any software (for free if possible) that can act as a virtual KVM? I have a real KVM switch, but I need a peice of software that can control the keyboard and mouse of a computer over a network connection... something like using desktop sharing, but not actually needing to see their screen (since the monitor will be right next to me).

I just aquired another LCD monitor, and I want to use the same keyboard and mouse to control another computer thats running on the monitor next to my main monitor.

This would be for XP machines (I have it dual booting linux, but I'm still learning. I'll work on that some other time) I would just use my KVM switch, but since they are separate monitors, I'd have to constantly switch back and forward to use both computers. Plus my favorite wireless mouse doesn't work with the KVM :(

Thanks!

if I understand you correctly, you have 2 pcs and 2 monitors.. the answer is yes you can use one keyboard and mouse to control 2 computers with thier own monitors. I use Multiplicity for this.. (google it) they have a 14 day trial for you to give it a whirl.. I bought it and think it was 39 bux well spent.. I'd deffinately suggest it.

you can copy text from one to another (basically a shared clipboard between the 2) and all mouse buttons on your mouse should work.. as of now I have an mx510 and my mouse 3,4,5 and scroll all work with both computers.

Syndicated_Death said:
if I understand you correctly, you have 2 pcs and 2 monitors.. the answer is yes you can use one keyboard and mouse to control 2 computers with thier own monitors. I use Multiplicity for this.. (google it) they have a 14 day trial for you to give it a whirl.. I bought it and think it was 39 bux well spent.. I'd deffinately suggest it

Yea, the setup I'm asking about is for two computers and two monitors. I ended up finding a program right away (stupid me not googling well enough before posting :eek: ) http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ looks exactly like what I need. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll make sure to check that out if the opensource synergy doesn't work.

try VNC. it does the same thing, except you can get rid of the 2nd monitor since it shows you the desktop of PC #2. this app. is free and if its not any longer, i can send you an older version thats free. with this software you can also connect to your PC remotley. like PC anywhere except its free and its 5 MBs.

Id suggest tightVNC over say the basic or RealVNC (all are freeware and that wont be changing)
dont employ it in the same room since I have dual 4 port KVMs
but Im going to try out those two above anyway as I might want to remotely control a box or two downstairs and being inside the secured LAN tightVNC might be overkill

just to let you know
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/security.html
Therefore, synergy should not be used on untrusted networks.

I have tightVNC servers setup with openssh encryption
like here > http://pigtail.net/LRP/vnc/ and then write a rule on the host software firewall limiting the IPs it accepts
giving you a bit more depth of defense, but then those boxes are halfway across the US too not inside my LAN
compartmentalizing your own LAN is largely a question of how large and secure it is
a half dozen boxes vs a few hundred with users bringing in likely unsecured laptops makes a big difference
a sniffer could get dropped and log a password, whereas if its still encrypted even inside the LAN...

Back