Virtual File Server 2008 on Virtualbox

I'm running a Windows XP laptop with 2 Gigs of RAM, devoting 1 gig to Virtual Box with a Server 2008 distro running on it. I've used server 2008 in a lab environment during school, but never had it out in the real world, on my own. I have a partitioned out 1TB external hard drive that I would like to be able to access from anywhere on the internet, securely. I'm not sure of how I should go about this. I've heard SSL, VPN, FTP, and SSH as possibilities. I'm also new to the IP address assignment with virtualization. I have a 10. IP address on the server, but I'm behind a Linksys router on my laptop and it is giving me a private 192. address.I want to be able to type in my server's IP address and access my terabyte in case I'm at a friend or family member's house. Any ideas? Is this even possible?

Too much noise for something that could easily be done with a simple FTP server installation on one of your existing systems. Install an FTP server, create an account, and write your IP address down. Make sure that the proper ports are forwarded so that the FTP service can be accessed from the outside. You can also install a DynDNS client if your home IP address changes often, and then you can access it with a FQDN.

Hamachi is a nifty tool. It's easy to setup. No need for the virtual server 2008 install. Sometimes though direct connections can be a hassle, but thats been few and far between for me.

We use it at work to sync our Outlook calanders with exchanage until we get around to setting up an real vpn.

You can set up the 2008 VM to use bridged networking, that way it should get a 192.168.* address from your Linksys, and should be accessible from the outside provided you forward the ports. Alternatively you can set up a FTP on your host machine directly.

Back