Virtual displays

rudy

[H]F Junkie
I am looking for what it is that one can use to divide up a monitor into virtual monitors for windows 10.

Back in the day when eyefinity / surround hit the whole idea was GPUs are powerful enough to run multiple monitors so lets give games the ability to use them. At the time ultra high resolutions and ultra large displays were not available. So treating 3 displays as one was a cool way to get something of a surround gaming experience.

Shift to now days and it seems our first world problems have exactly reversed.

Very wide displays are a reality and coming into affordable price ranges. And curved options are there too.

Very large very high resolutions displays are already very affordable ($300 for 40 inches of 4k)

This means that now days its cleaner and even often cheaper to run a single display that fills your entire desk. However this loses many of the advantages of multiple monitors. Also many games do not support ultra wide resolutions well. In my case I would like to instruct a 4k monitor to have a single 1080p display for gaming in the bottom middle. Then another display on top of that, and 2 more tall displays, one on each side. But I would imagine a lot of people have other ideas for configurations.

#firstworldproblems indeed

It wont do anything for fullscreen modes, but try "winsplit revolution" for a quick way to shove windows around to predetermined regions.

In regards to the gaming bit, you're out of luck except for games with borderless windowed mode. With everything as windows you can manage them with tools in DisplayFusion, AquaSnap, UltraMon, and I'm sure there are others.

Back