Virtual Desktop/GPU Passthough, Not for Valve Games

unholythree

Limp Gawd
Not a heavy gamer these days (perhaps even a filthy casual) but I have friends that play CS:GO so I decided to buy it myself. All my desktops at the moment are VMs running on a pair of Xenservers with GPUs passed-though.

After playing a few rounds last night, getting back my CS legs, I found myself bounced from all VAC secured CS:GO servers. The error message was:

Disconnected by VAC: You cannot play on secure servers

Apparently:
  • CCleaner
  • Powershell
  • Sandboxie
  • Cheat Engine
  • IObit Start Menu 8
  • Process Hacker
  • DLL Injectors
  • Hypervisors
  • Steam Idlers
are all forbidden. Well that stinks.

What little I could dig up indicated that some folks are either skin farming or using cheats with the help of some form of visualization. In any case I'm annoyed (both with the cheaters and Steam) and have requested a refund after confirming the cause with support.

Just a heads up to any others virtualizing your desktops, and hopefully a search result for anyone else running into this problem.

------------------------
Xenservers (6.5)
-long-red: Supermicro H8DCL-6F, AMD 4332 HE (x2), 32GB ECC, ConnectX-2, RX 480
-big-red: Supermicro H8SCM-F, AMD 4376 HE, 32GB ECC, ConnectX-2, HD 6450, HD 6950

FreeNAS (9.10)
-blue: Supermicro H8SCM-F, 4376 HE, 16GB ECC, ConnectX-2, H310, 240GB M500 (x3)
-SE-3016: 1TB WD10EACS (x2), 2TB 5k3000 (x2), 3TB DT01ACA300 (x6)

Last edited:
WTF is skin farming? Scalping is the only thing that comes to mind

How does VAC know its OS is a guest OS under a hypervisor?
There's always clues, some show a cpu to be something fixed. Others will show a network card being a particular thing. Doubly so if you're using paravirtualized networking for performance. (VirtIO)
One other thing comes to mind is a particular "hardware" signature as large pieces will always be the same for certain VM software.

There's always clues, some show a cpu to be something fixed. Others will show a network card being a particular thing. Doubly so if you're using paravirtualized networking for performance. (VirtIO)
One other thing comes to mind is a particular "hardware" signature as large pieces will always be the same for certain VM software.

Every platform uses a 440BX board for the chipset :) That's a big clue. DMI details can pull it too, or a ton of other ways if you want to find out.

Back